Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/118.8/115

Height: 5' 2"

Default Finally! Low Calorie REAL Peanut Butter!

I have been on the hunt for a delicious peanut butter that is lower in calorie than the kind my family buys (Jiffy). Today I was at Publix and looked through the health aisle. To my utter satisfaction, I came across a peanut butter called "Peanut Wonder." I quickly looked at the nutrition label and found that it was only 100 calories for 2TBS!!!!

I also read the ingredients list, and could identify all of them. I think the reason it is low-calorie is because the peanuts are dehydrated (which I guess means the fat is taken out of it?).

I was so excited, I made a grilled peanut butter and sugar free jelly sandwhich on nature's own sugar free whole wheat bread for lunch. Total meal? 170. I don't think I have ever eaten a PB&J sandwhich for less than 200 calories.

"Peanut Wonder" is very pricey, unfortunately. Around $7 at Publix I think. I splurged because of my obsession with finding low-calorie peanut butter, and, I don't eat it too often, so it will last me a while.

Sidenote: Peanut Wonder was in the health foods section, not with all the other peanut butters

Sidenote 2: If you have never tried grilling your PB&J, I suggest you do! It will change your life.

Happy Thursday!
Under1Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the information My boyfriend also loves peanut butter but it can put a dent in his calories if he isn't careful.

Something you might want to try (don't know how successful or yummy this would be) to stretch the jar since it is pricey is to mix half and half real Peanut Butter and the Peanut Wonder. Assuming you do 1 tbsp real PB (90 - 100 calories) plus 1 TBSP Peanut Wonder (50 calories) then you'll get 140 - 150 calories for a serving. You could adjust it as needed, but this is something I've done before with mixing fat free cheese with some regular or just reduced fat cheese (the real fat free kinds are usually gnarly in my opinion!).
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Interesting! I looked up the ingredients list to see if it was suitable for my vegan diet but some of them are vague and don't list whether they come from animal or plant sources. Oh well. Here's the nutrition information for anyone who is interested:
Quote:
Regular Creamy

Serving Size: 2 Tbsp. (32g) Servings: About 14 Calories: 100 Fat Calories: 18 Total Fat: 2g - 4% DV* Sat. Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0g Sodium: 190mg - 8% DV* Total Carb.: 13g - 4% DV* Fiber: 2g Sugars: 2g Protein: 4g Vitamin A: 0% Vitamin C: 8% Calcium: 4% Iron: 2%

Ingredients:

Peanuts (as de-fatted peanut flour and natural peanut butter), tapioca syrup, pure water, dehydrated cane juice, rice syrup, vegetable glycerin, soy flour, salt, tapioca starch, natural flavors, paprika & annatto, calcium carbonate, lecithin, vitamins e & c (antioxidants).
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #4  

its okay to have calories from peanut butter cuz its healthy fat and good source of protein, having more then 2 tbs a day is a lot anyways. i suggest organic and natural.... that really makes a difference
crazyaboutgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm with crazyaboutgym. It's great that you found low cal PB, but personally I want straight PB. The fats are healthy and good. Just have to have it in moderation, like everything else!
Enjoy though!!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Peanut Wonder is also sold as Better 'n Peanut Butter, and you'll find some threads about it on 3FC. I'm glad you like it, but it does seem like it's one of those foods people either love or hate. As a fellow PB lover, I bought some and couldn't stand it - too sweet and the texture was just . . . off for me.

But if you like it and it meets your craving, enjoy! I love finding foods that help me stay OP without feeling deprived.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote