3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   The Five a Day challenge! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/238725-five-day-challenge.html)

Esofia 07-21-2011 10:08 AM

The Five a Day challenge!

We all know that we're meant to eat five portions of fruit and veg a day, but very few people manage it. So here's a thread where we can log how many portions we managed today.

This is an excellent list of most fruit and veg, giving their portion sizes according to the Five A Day idea.

Here's mine for today. Vegan diet, approximately 1100 calories.

Breakfast - 2 dried dates, which I think is a bit under 1 portion

Lunch - 1 big carrot (1 portion or a bit over), 1 small-medium head pak choi (2 portions), 2 slices tofu (guessing half a portion based on beans), 1 satsuma (half a portion)

Supper - 1 courgette/zucchini (2 portions), one small onion (1 portion)

Evening snack - 1 apple (1 portion)

Total - 9 portions

FranciesMom 07-21-2011 04:47 PM

I think tracking fruits and vegetables is a great idea since they are good for you and fill you up - not out! Here's what mine look like for today...

Breakfast : 1/2 banana and 1 cup blueberries (2 portions)
Lunch: 2 cups raw salad greens with tomato, onion and white beans (2 portions)
Planned for Dinner: cooked spinach, tomato slices, (2 portions)

nelie 07-21-2011 04:51 PM

Fruits and veggies are fairly easy for me, especially fruit.

Fruits today: 2 clementines, 1 orange, 1 apple, 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries
Veggies today: 1 cup of kale, 1 cup of baby carrots, 1/4 cucumber, 1/4 jicama, 1 tomato

Esofia 07-22-2011 03:31 PM

Today:

Breakfast - 2 dried dates (bit under 1 portion)
Lunch - 1 red pepper (2), spoonful or so chickpeas (1/2), half a large cucumber (2), satsuma (1/2)
Dinner - bowl of veg soup (1?), 5 chocolate-covered raisins (1/2)

Total - 8.5 portions

Esofia 07-24-2011 07:14 AM

Come on, anyone else going to join me with this?

Yesterday:

Breakfast - 2 dates (just under 1 portion)
Lunch - 3 mushrooms (0.5), 1 carrot (1), 0.6 cup tofu (0.5?), 1 spring onion (negligible), 1 satsuma (0.5)
Supper - 30g baby broad beans (0.5), few spoonfuls frozen savoy cabbage (0.5)

Total: 4.5

Evidently I wasn't wrong in thinking that stir-fry for lunch was a bit low on veg. It's odd how much this can vary.

nelie 07-24-2011 04:06 PM

I've been getting over 10 servings of veggies/fruits per day, usually around 4 servings of fruits and 6 or more servings of veggies. I just get lazy about writing them all out :)

Alana in Canada 07-26-2011 11:58 AM

Lots of veggies

Yesterday morning I had a one egg omelette with cut up onion, mushroom and red peppers. I also had one cup of mixed fresh berries.

Lunch: I wrap with tomatoes, carrots, spinach, mushrooms. A glass of vegetable juice. Red pepper strips for a "side"

Dinner: I had cooked spinach, 1/4 of an acorn squash and a tomato and cucumber salad.

For a snack, I had 1/4 of a cantaloupe.

(I also ate protein and dairy (and carbs) on this plan, I just didn't bother including them here.)