Questions about hummus

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I recently discovered that I like hummus, specifically the red pepper kind. I want to try making my own, but in the meantime I want to know how long I can keep the store bought kind fresh in the fridge. I don't think I will eat the whole container in a week, can I keep it longer that that once its opened? Can you give me some ideas of what hummus is good with? I spread it on my dry toast crisps but I am at a loss what else to use with with.

Thanks for the help
  • I use hummus for a variety of things including as a dip for veggies and as a spread on sandwiches. It does keep for about a week but you can also freeze some as well if you don't think you'll eat a container in a week.
  • I like it in place of refried beans in a soft taco
  • you are better than me!

Seriously, a container gets opened in my house and it is gone in a day or two! LOL. Of course that is with a few of us eating it for snacks.
  • I've kept open containers for up to 2 weeks with no problem. I went out of town once and forgot to throw an open tu out, and when I came home it as moldy - but I think that one had been open for closer to a month at that point.

I LOVE using hummus as a spread in sandwiches and wraps. I get various flavored hummuses from Trader Joe's at 50 calories per serving, and they are delicious. Because I eat a sandwich for lunch almost every workday, they get used up before they go bad.
  • mmmmmmmm....I must try this Hummus! Everyone loves it so much, it seems!
  • Use it as a delicious "filler" for egg white omelets. You can add a bit of salsa, and a tiny bit of cheese..yum!
  • It is just a delish treat for anything.

My current favorite, and have to be careful because it can be salty...is hummus (of any variety) on Wasa Thin & Crispy crackers
  • There is a hummus at Trader Joes that has cilantro and jalepenos in it. It is the best thing ever. 80 Calories for two tablespoons. It doesn't last long at my house either!
  • There is also an avocado one that is to die for...

mmmm hummus
  • I WANT HUMMUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
  • I often make my own, and it is so easy! You just need chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, and a blender/food processor. Of course you can add to it any variety of spices, garlic, etc.

I use it as a dip for pita breads and vegetables, but my son eats his with blue corn tortilla chips. I use it as a sandwich spread, and I've even stirred some TJ's Roasted Red Pepper Hummus into mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving.
  • What is tahini?
  • Tahini is basically sesame seed paste. Sometimes it's more paste-like, other times it's kind of fluid; it depends a lot on how much oil is in there. It's essential both in hummus and in another favorite dip of mine, baba ghanouj (or ghanoush or ganush or...yeah, you get the picture ).

You should be able to find it in the international foods aisle of a larger supermarket; if not, try Whole Foods or a middle eastern market, either of which is bound to have it in stock.
  • Tahini is sometimes found with the Peanut Butter, but not usually in a "regular" grocery store. Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Henry's should all have it.