Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #16  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Oooh...you had me at "cookie dough."

I really do love oatmeal, I've just not investigated the less-sweet possibilities for it yet because it's something that I ate fairly often as a "fat" food. But I should. I mean, I didn't forsake beef just because I ate it on fast-food hamburgers, right?

I'm going to give less-liquid, SF-syrup-enhanced oats a try. I'll bet it'd be great with some cardamom along with the cinnamon, maybe a little almond milk or a splash of regular milk on top. Yep, I know what breakfast is going to be tomorrow!

That polenta lasagna-ish dish sounds all kinds of awesome. It's amazing what a versatile food it is. Couple of nights ago, I used grits in my chicken gumbo instead of rice--it was outstanding.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

I was just reading about almond milk. Is this liquid or in packes. Is in the biggest loser swap book.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #18  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

The almond milk I buy is the Blue Diamond "Almond Breeze" kind, which is in cartons in the dairy section near the cow's milks and soy milks. Silk puts out a selection of almond milks too, but I find theirs too artificially thickened and texturally "conditioned" for my tastes; I don't want to have to chew the stuff.

I actually like the taste of the stuff and vary my breakfasts by using it on cereal instead of cow's milk sometimes or even mixing it half and half with cow's milk. It also works great in pancake recipes and imparts a really nice nutty flavor to the finished flapjacks.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #19  

(wipes aways the sweat) that's what I bought just now. Great. I'll feed it to the grandkids in the morning and see how it goes.

I'm going to make that recipe in the Biggest Loser Swap book for the Smoothie. has more protein in it.

i swear, this learning how to eat sure seems to send me to the grocery store more often.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #20  
it's always something

I can't stand southern style grits, and I'm southern

I buy polenta grind grits (bob's red mill and not the instant type) and cook them for 20-30 minutes like polenta, then turn them into a pan. They become very firm and I slice them into triangles then grill them. I serve them with slow roasted grape or cherry tomatoes and sometimes a dollop of light sour cream. They are also good with a small amount of grated cheese to them right turning them into the pan. Even with the cheese, it's a very low calorie meal. I serve with a side salad and it makes a nice lunch. It takes a little time to make them, but the polenta triangles freeze well so I can enjoy leftovers later on.

Tybody, I'm also a fan of almond milk and buy Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla for my cereal and smoothies.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #21  

it really is good. Its expensive so I don't know if I'll keep buying it and also it has more WW points I think. Will check. While the 1/2 gallon is here, I at least will drink it.

It add flavor to coffee to. I like it. Glad I'm finding new things to add to my life.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #22  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 250/check tracker/150

Height: 5'5"

Mmmm, grits. My favorite way to eat them is loaded with butter and sugar. Obviously I haven't touched them since I started dieting. I might give them another shot in a healthier way, maybe a little light vanilla yogurt or something.
tschaff04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #23  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 250/check tracker/150

Height: 5'5"

Oh! Almond milk. That's a staple in my house. I don't touch cow's milk but couldn't live without my almond milk. LOVE the stuff.
tschaff04 is offline   Reply With Quote