Oatmeal is filling? Not for me!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I love steel-cut oatmeal. It's good with homemade applesauce on it. (I cook a whole batch of apples in the crock pot, mash them up and then refrigerate it). The applesauce makes a delicious topping to my daily oatmeal along with some chopped almonds. Yum.
  • If I eat breakfast I find myself hungrier through the day than if I don't have breakfast even when I am drinking enough water. I think I need to just retrain my body how to eat, what to eat and when to eat it.
  • Oatmeal is so good for you and delicious but it doesn't keep me full either. It takes fiber to keep me feeling full in the mornings and a serving of oatmeal only has 4 grams. I eat a serving of Fiber One in the mornings with fruit and yogurt. The cereal alone has 14 grams of fiber and only 60 calories, quite a difference than the oatmeal. Try switching to a high fiber cereal and see if that helps with the morning hunger pains.
  • Two words: Oat bran! Oat bran takes less time to make in the microwave, and is far superior nutritionally! More protein, more fiber, but similar calorie/fat content.

I eat oat bran every morning with PB (for a bit more fat/protein) and love it!
  • Following up on Bobbolink's comment - regular instant store brand oats is 4 grams fiber. But "Bob's Red Mill" is 5. That may be why I sensed it is heartier.
  • I think if your hungry, you should eat.

I eat every 2-3 hours all day It's not how often you eat that counts...it's the amount of calories you consume in a day that counts. Find low calorie filling snacks coupled with high protein snacks to hold you over until the next meal. That's frankly what I suggest. Happy eating!!!