3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   I got the job, help with packing lunch (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/219062-i-got-job-help-packing-lunch.html)

Lauren201 12-06-2010 11:52 PM

I got the job, help with packing lunch

I got the job! It's going to be grueling, 6 days a week 10 hour shifts.... I was wondering what everyone takes to work for lunch, I am calorie counting. I want to continue my program, but I don't know how to eat at work.

So, what does everyone take to work with them to eat?

Shytowngal 12-06-2010 11:57 PM

What is the set up like? Will you have access to a fridge, freezer, microwave, convection oven?

ETA: CONGRATS on the new job!

Razorbackbritt 12-07-2010 01:35 PM

I find that thinking in separates is good for my lunch. I bought a container like this http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...W412437110001P

And focus on protein in one (chicken...tuna burgers, bison meatballs, etc), veggies in one (raw or cooked) and fruit in another. Then I add a small package of carbs...crackers, bread, tortilla...and my lunch is complete! It helps me to think in compartments for lunch so I get good nutrition.

carter 12-07-2010 01:48 PM

What do you eat for lunch now? Is there a reason you can't bring that?

Shytowngal 12-07-2010 01:59 PM

Razorback - thanks for that link. I'm going to get one of those!

kateleestar 12-07-2010 02:16 PM

I bring my lunch every day. Since it started getting cold, its been soup. Be it homemade or the Light Progresso ones, with 200ish cals in the whole can. During the summer I was eating sandwiches on the 100 cal rounds, with turkey and horseradish spread, and lots of garden veggies. Sometimes I bring GINORMOUS salads, dressing seperate. I also bring cut up veggies every day. Today it was cucumber, broccoli, celery and carrots. I also bring a measured portion of honey nut cheerie o's or some other cereal to snack on. I usually also bring some baked lays, or some pretzel sticks. I also bring a can of cherry coke zero with me, just in case I get sleepy in the afternoon or I'm having a hungry day. I can drink that, it feels like a reward and it's tasty! :)

I eat all that from 5am to 4pm and its never over 600 calories total. I like my dinner to be my biggest meal, because DH isnt counting anything so I dont want to change his diet toooo much. Tonight we are having spaghetti with whole wheat barilla pasta and delgrosso mushroom spaghetti sauce. We will have a big salad with lots of veggies, and spinach. He will also have garlic bread. I stay under 1600 a day now. :)

It helps when I pack to do it the night before. I get to work by 6:30, and I'm up at 5:30 (5 now, since it's been snowing since Saturday night non stop, have to take my time driving in, sigh.) so I don't eat breakfast till I get to work. :D

Good luck! I find bringing my own food helps me avoid other things. I don't work in a typical office, though.

krampus 12-08-2010 11:52 PM

I make vegetable stir fries the night before and bring those in Tupperware. I like having it ready before I go to bed so I don't have to stress about it in the mornings.

Congrats on the job!

Lauren201 12-09-2010 12:13 AM

I usually make a serving of chicken, cut it up and put it on a salad for lunch... I have no idea what the set up will be like...

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep them coming! :D

WebRover 12-09-2010 01:41 AM

I usually pack breakfast, lunch & two snacks.

The lunch part is usually leftovers. Sometimes it's the whole meal reheated. Sometimes its leftover protein and vegetables on a salad. Occasionally its a sandwich on a round with a raw vegetable on the side.

If you don't have a fridge at work, you can keep your lunch fresh with an icepack in your lunchbox.