Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #16  

Height: 1.67m

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
You can don't have to peel carrots; I recall reading some where that you can just scrub them with a brush...
Yes, absolutely. I prefer scrubbed over peeled as it keeps some of the skins on there.
You can also "scrub" them with a special pair of gloves made for root vegetables. They look just like the body scrub mitts you can buy to exfoliate your legs, but they are scrubbier. My dad swears by these (He looks a bit funny using them, but hey whatever works right?)
timkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #17  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

My husband does that insane chef thing of cutting up things impossibly quickly. According to him, the only prerequisites for being able to do the same are really sharp knives and time spent practicing.

Most vegetables don't actually need to be peeled, as other folks have said. Just give 'em a good scrub with mitts or a vegetable brush, especially if they're organically grown (think about what organic fertilizer is and you'll definitely want to wash those carrots well ). In a lot of cases, peels contain fiber, so eating them is actually a good thing.

Commercially flash-frozen vegetables are excellent sources of nutrition and, as others noted, may even be more nutrient-rich than a fresh veggie that's sat around the store until it's old enough to collect a pension. I find that some things freeze better than others, though. I dislike the texture of most frozen root vegetables and find they get mushy, so I always prepare those fresh. Frozen peas, on the other hand, work just fine for me. YMMV, but give frozen veggies a try from time to time; they're a great option to have in your freezer.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:50 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
My husband does that insane chef thing of cutting up things impossibly quickly. According to him, the only prerequisites for being able to do the same are really sharp knives and time spent practicing.
I guess I'll just have to practice then, and try to get a decent knife. All the knives we have at my house are serrated except a small 4" knife, so I either have to chop with the serrated ones or the very small one. I'm the only person in my family who has an interest outside of anything like casseroles, so if I really want a new knife, I'll have to buy one myself. (Poor college student here XD)
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote