Roasted Cabbage

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • This is such a great timed thread...as I type I have Brussel Sprouts and Cauliflower roasting...yum! Oh and I use Olive Oil and have never had a problem but I might give Peanut oil a try next time.
  • I love love love roasted vegetables.

I use the bottom portion of the large broiler pan that comes with American stove/ovens. The bottom pan of the pair is called a drip pan. It's intended for high heat and it's the largest flat pan I own allowing for the maximum amount of vegetables to be roasted in a nearly single layer.

Sometimes I line it with foil, usually I just make sure I have a generous amount of oil. I almost always use olive oil, and I roast at 425, probably because that's the temperature in the first roasting recipe I used. Without the foil, cleaning usually involves some soaking. However I prefer to deal with some cleanup as I think the vegetables are more likely to stick to the foil than to the bottom of this "drip pan". I check veggies after 10 minutes and stir/turn them. I rarely roast more than 15-20 minutes total.

I put longer cooking vegetables in it first and cook them partway, then add shorter cooking vegetables. And I pretty much roast any vegetable that's not targeted for a specific future meal.
  • I can't find the recipe anywhere, but I made roasted cabbage with shredded cabbage/carrots. I bought slaw mix and tossed that in a bowl with just a little oil and some soy sauce. I spread it out on the pan and roasted it (around) 375. I had to scrape and turn a few times, but it cooked pretty quickly, and was very good. I roasted in a glass pan, so even though I had some sticky parts, it was really good!
  • I find it roasts just fine without any oil at all, and it doesn't adhere very much to a glass pan. It tastes more boiled than roasted, but it's easier to make and doesn't fill the house with the smell of boiled cabbage. I set the oven at 400 for 35 minutes.

I mix in generous chunks of onion, which turns sweet.
  • My mum always used to make "brown cabbage" for Christmas. It is essentially cabbage and apple (grated) roasted slowly in the oven for quite a long time. It's so delicious!