Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 2"

Default Broccoli & Broccoli Rabe

I know they are two entirely different vegetables, but was wondering if similar at all in taste?

I'm trying to broaden my horizons and eat more greens. I tried Kale...HATED IT! I love love love broccoli, so I thought I'd try broccoli rabe, but thought I'd throw it out here before I buy it cause if its anything like kale, i'll just wind up throwing it away and wasting food and money.
JennieGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #2  
Diet and Exercise!

S/C/G: 185/165/135

Height: 5'3"

I've never (to my knowledge) had broccoli rabe, so can't help you there. But, I love love love broccoli too! One of my new favorites is, actually, brussels sprouts. I usually cut them in half and pan-sautee in a tbsp of olive oil - fantastic!
fatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #3  

that sounds pretty good. I've never had brussels sprouts. I'll give it a shot. thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I think broccoli rabe is kind of an acquired taste. It's bitter tasting, not much like broccoli at all. I usually blanch it, then saute it in olive oil with garlic and some red pepper flakes. I grew up eating it with pasta, Italian sausage and lots of pecorino or parmesan...yummy, but not good for my tummy.
Jezlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #5  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

They are not similar. Broccoli Rabe despite its name, is nothing like broccoli.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapini

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Veget...occoliRaab.htm
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Broccoli has a relatively sweet taste & holds up its structure really well when steamed or stir-fried or even when roasted.

Broccoli rabe has a slightly bitter taste. I agree with Jezlyn that it's an acquired taste. And I'm one who acquired it, due to my living for 10 years in the upper floor of an old house, with a landlady living downstairs who taught me to love it & how to cook it for myself.

Like other greens, broccoli rabe wilts & cooks way down when you steam or sautee it. I don't blanch it first, unlike most good Italian-American cooks -- like my landlady. I stir-fry it quickly in a deep pot with a bit of olive oil, garlic & red pepper, then pour on a little bit of chicken broth & cover it with a lid to steam it down. I just eat it as a side dish.

But I do find it a bit time-consuming to prepare because 1) I always fill my sink up with water & swish it through first; 2) I cut off the ends & peel the tough outer skin off the thicker stems.

By contrast, plain old broccoli is a snap.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #7  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Broccoli rabe is my absolute favorite vegetable. I don't even bother blanching it first, because I like the little bit of bitterness - but if the bitterness worries you, blanching is a good way to start.

The other thing you can do is - heat some garlic and red pepper flakes in a pan. Add the broccoli rabe and some salt and pepper, and after sauteeing for a few minutes pour in half a cup of chicken broth. Simmer the brocolli rabe in the chicken broth until it cooks off. That can have a similar effect as blanching to reduce the bitterness, without requiring the extra step and extra pot.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #8  

Thanks ladies!

I think I'll just stick to regular simple broccoli
Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #9  

Height: 5'6"

I have nothing to add about broccoli rabe, as I like it because of it's bitterness. However, I'm curious as to how you prepared kale and didn't like it. DH won't eat wilted kale as a side dish, but he eats it cooked into dishes, and loves kale chips. I thought I hated brussel sprouts until Kaplods told me to season them well and roast them in the oven, so maybe you should try kale prepared differently? I vote for kale chips, they're spectacularly tasty.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote