3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Alternatives to fresh milk? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/215867-alternatives-fresh-milk.html)

Iconised Ghost 10-26-2010 11:39 PM

Alternatives to fresh milk?

Hi there, i have had this problem for a while and i was wondering if anyone else has faced it or has any ideas. My boyfriend and I dont drink a lot of milk. And we dont cook with it very often. The only real thing we use milk for regularly is making cups of tea, so inevitably the milk goes off before we finish it. I have tried defrosting just a tiny bit of the bottle of milk and keeping the rest frozen, but it still goes off before i can use it all (plus defrosting this little makes the milk seperate sometimes, and its hard to defrost a tiny amount without it going off before i can refridgerate it again)

Is there any alternative i could use? I have thought about long life milk but that would still go off after 14 days and I wouldnt use a whole carton in 14 days. Would powdered milk be ok in things like tea?

odonnela 10-27-2010 07:03 AM

soy milk lasts a long time and non dairy creamers do also. but your idea of powdered milk is a good one, just make a bit at a time. the powder does have a shelf life also though - but its much longer than fresh milk.

bronzeager 10-27-2010 07:47 AM

One old trick is to freeze liquids in an ice cube tray. Then you can keep the cubes in a ziplock bag in the freezer and only use them one or two at a time.

You could also look in the juice boxes/ children's drinks aisle of the supermarket for the small boxes of milk packaged for use in lunch boxes. You might have to look in a couple of groceries before you find a non-chocolate kind, but they do make them in skim, 2% and full. It's real milk, but UHT or ultra-pastuerized (like the boxed soy milk) so it's shelf-stable at room temperatures, and the boxes are about 8oz. My grandma in Germany, who didn't drink much milk, always kept it around for the kids, and I have some in the closet for emergencies. It tastes a little "cooked", like evaporated canned milk, but you might not notice in tea. In the SuperWalmart I have found the UHT milk on one end of the baking ingredients aisle, next to the powdered milk.

I also use powdered milk (skim) in baking, and a few times when I have run out of fresh milk I have used it in my coffee, and it tastes fine, just as if I had put fresh milk in. I don't know why non-dairy creamer was even invented, unless for lactose-intolerant people, powdered milk tastes better and it is all real milk. Some brands dissolve better than others, so don't be discouraged if you try it and it doesn't work the first time. You can always give it away to a baker or cook if you can't find a way to use it.

girl81 10-29-2010 06:13 AM

Would a half pint every two weeks be too much?

Suzanne 3FC 10-29-2010 09:52 AM

If it's just for tea, how about the little shelf stable mini creamers? Land o Lakes makes half and half with 10 calories each.

edit: Just noticed you are in New Zealand so my link won't help :) But you probably have something like that which might be an option.