3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   What is your favorite squash? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/214669-what-your-favorite-squash.html)

saef 10-14-2010 11:02 AM

Used to be butternut, and I roasted it using a recipe quite similar to what Bombe posted above.

But I've bought delicata twice over the past three weeks & I think I'm in love. The skin is thinner, so it's easy to cut. (You can actually eat it, if you want.)

Eliana 10-14-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saef (Post 3521725)
Used to be butternut, and I roasted it using a recipe quite similar to what Bombe posted above.

But I've bought delicata twice over the past three weeks & I think I'm in love. The skin is thinner, so it's easy to cut. (You can actually eat it, if you want.)

I love this forum because I keep learning about new foods. I had never before heard of quinoa, parsnips, rutabaga and now delicata. I've tried all the others...now I have to try delicata. :D

There's some kind of apple I'm supposed to try too...honeycrisp?

Fressca 10-14-2010 12:11 PM

I tried delicata squash this week - delicious. In my neck of the woods (Canada) it's called potato squash, however; not nearly as pretty as delicata!

Also bought some honeycrisp apples - wow! Very good-tasting apple.

SCraver 10-14-2010 12:27 PM

Yum!! YUM for squashes! I think I like them b/c there are no weird textures... the flavor is usually whatever you put on them.

I like butternut, zuchinni, yellow squash, acorn squash, spaghetti squash. What about pumpkin? Any one eat pumpkin just as a veggie? (As opposed to cooked in a pie or muffin)?

This is so weird, but I like my butternut cooked, smashed up, and mixed with broccoli. Yum. Something about the sweetness of the butternut mixed with the somewhat bitterness of broccolli.

yum! yum! yum!

saef 10-14-2010 01:37 PM

Yes, I've had chunks of pumpkin sauteed & mixed through cooked lentils, and that traditional Italian soup that has pumpkin & sausage in it (whose name I forget), and I've also used canned pumpkin to make black bean & pumpkin soup.

I got a lot of slightly dented cans of Libby's pumpkin on sale last year and have been working my way through them, mostly looking for savory recipes. (Though pumpkin mixed through oatmeal & with pre-mixed Trader Joe's pumpkin pie spice is pretty good.)

AuntBea 10-25-2010 11:16 PM

Saef, I think we're in a love triangle. I made delicata for the first time last night & it was unbelievably good. The skin, too!

odonnela 10-26-2010 06:40 AM

Mmmmmmm Buttercup! Its almost like Butternut but its soooo smooth and creamy like you put a ton of butter and cream in it. You can bake it with butter and brown sugar like an Acorn squash or peel, cut, cook & mash it which is what I generally do. Although I will say I never met a squash I didn't like!!

odonnela 10-26-2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilwomaniamshe (Post 3520093)
Hands down baked buttercup squash, when done I just add some peanut butter on top, so it melts & it is a warm, ooey, gooey, heavenly BLISS! A meal in itself with the protein of the peanut butter!

Peanut butter? I'll have to try that!!!!!