Asian Pears

• I was so excited to discover Asian pears in my supermarket this evening. I have never seen them before in Canada. When I lived in Asia, I used to love eating Asian pears. The pears are yellow and look like a bigger version of an apple. The Asian pears in Asia are much bigger, as the ones I saw tonight, but they are very tasty. They have a core in the middle not unlike bartlett or anjou pears.

I'd recommend trying these pears if you see them in your supermarket. They are very sweet, and taste a bit different than your regular pear. The pears I saw were certainly not cheap, but worth it if you like to try different fruit variety. Has anyone tried them before?
  • I love asian pears, have been finding them in this end of Ottawa for a few years now. They somehow seem more refreshing than regular pears, if that makes sense?
  • Good to know that others like them. I also find them more refreshing than other pears. In Asia, they are the size of grapefruits, but I notice that they are smaller and more expensive here. I think they are worth it though.
  • Do you mean nashi pears? yum!
  • sorry, I just saw this. I have never heard of Nashi pears. I don't think it is the same thing! What is a nashi pear?
  • According to Wikipedia, they're the same. The pictures look the same...
  • Yes, I just checked it out online, and you are right, Seawave! I learned something new tonight.

Nashi benefits
    The nashi pear, or Asian pear, was been cultivated for thousands of years. Its antioxidants and phytonutrient profile may help with heart disease. Modern Science shows that this powerful cleansing pear is helpful in treating urinary and digestive problems, including constipation.

The nutritional benefits are:

Vitamin C
    Dietary Fiber
    B Vitamins

The pear can help with:

Red Blood Cell Production
    Gastrointestinal Health

http://www.antioxidant-fruits.com/nashi-pear.

-Not a bad reason to have more than one!
  • I LOVE Asian pears!!! OMG they are sooo delicious!!!