What Ingredient Do You Refuse To Use??

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • My mother doesn't like cilantro either but eats it in Mexican food.
  • Love this thread!

I refuse to use artificial sweeteners, except for the occasional Diet Coke. Hate the taste of "sugar-free" anything so i'd rather eat less of the real thing than lots of the fake. Fortunately, I'm not a sugar addict.

Refuse to use fat-free cheese and most soy products as well.
  • Oh my goodness, I love cilantro. One of my dear friends is a cilantro hater, and when she makes homemade salsa she actually gives me a separate dish of chopped cilantro to add to my portion. I never asked her to do that, she just does. Now THAT'S a good friend.

I hate, and have always hated, mustard in any form. It's a bummer since it's so flavorful and low-cal, but I can't stand it, even when used in recipes.
  • Hard. Boiled. Egg.

Truth to tell I don't cook all that much (long hours at work, no time; I live with my mom, she's in her late 80s and does way less from-scratch cooking than formerly), but once in a while somebody gives my mom a container of potato salad left over from a picnic or dinner, and I cringe because most home-made potato salads have h b e. (Fortunately the last container she got, the h b e was sliced and arranged on the top, so I could work my way around it.) So if ever I do cook, and the recipe calls for h b e, I'll take a pass on it, thanks. I've ALWAYS hated hard-boiled egg, same goes for fried; used to like soft-boiled when I was little but don't like it any more. The mouthfeel of the solidified white squicks me. But lately I've been getting a taste for scrambled egg, or more precisely scrambled Egg Beaters
  • I like cilantro, though don't love it.

I can't/won't cook with butter or use it for that matter. I was never a huge fan, but now, uggh, just - blech.

Sour cream, cream cheese - same as above.

Also on my no list - cottage cheese, fennel, anise.

And I won't use those cream of anything soups. Do they even qualify as an ingredient?????

I'm sure there's more, but that's what immediately comes to mind.
  • Mine's sugar. Not that i don't like it but i can do without it so my philosophy is do without it to keep that aspect of weight off
  • Another cilantro hater, bleh it tastes like SOAP to me, nasty and the smell of it even, can't get it that far up to my nose, let alone mouth. NASTY!

Another one that won't use olive oil, I prefer my fat cals in olives, almonds, nut butter, peanut butter etc.

All artificial sweeteners
  • I can totally relate to the Cream of Mushroom soup but for me that extends to ALL condensed cream soups, I can't stand any of them! They all just taste so fake and seeing the glop makes my stomach turn!

If you had started this post a couple of months ago I would have definitely said curry, I've hated curry flavor for as long as I can remember....however in the past couple of months I've had it twice, and kinda liked it

I hate fennel, goat cheese, lamb and olives. ICK!

P.S. Cilantro is one of my favorite ingredients!!!
  • Green beans. I must have had a bad childhood experience, because just the smell of them causes a gag reflex.

Add me to the list of mustard haters. Too strong and overpowering. Same thing with cauliflower. It smells so strong and nasty, I don't understand how people can actually eat it!
  • I'm in on the green bean hating... too many canned ones as a kid.

I also won't use reduced fat cheese (just pretty much gave up the real stuff), mayonnaise and celery

I have an odd deal with cottage cheese too. I love the dry small curd stuff made by Knudsen, but it's nearly impossible to get up here. When the stores have it, I make it worth their while. Every other brand is pretty unpalatable to me, soupy, rubbery... eww. I keep thinking I should try to make it myself.
  • Quote: Another cilantro hater, bleh it tastes like SOAP to me, nasty and the smell of it even, can't get it that far up to my nose, let alone mouth. NASTY!

YES! It DOES taste like soap. Blech! I'm really okay with a LITTLE bit...if it's chopped up REALLY fine in some salsa. But if I notice it's in there, that's it. I can't do it. Blech

I refuse to eat anything that's even touched a cucumber (but I love pickles. Go figure).
  • My understanding is that the cilantro tasting like soap is a genetic thing. It really does taste horrid to some peeps
  • Any artificial sweetener besides stevia or xylitol. No sucralose (splenda), aspartame (nutrasweet), or saccharin.
  • Hmmm - I hate tuna! Just cannot even stand the thought of it!

But
  • BUT (don't know what happened to my post) I love:

green beans and cilantro!
    And I love shrimp, raw oysters (actually prepared anyway), calamari but no fish and really really really not tuna!