Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #16  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

I never was crazy about oatmeal because all I'd ever had was the Quaker stuff. It just tasted like nothing and had such a weird gummy texture. And then I tried steel cut oats. YumO! The texture is more chewy (not at all pasty), and it has a great nutty/grainy flavor. I usually stir stuff into it (fruits, nuts, peanut butter, etc.) but it's amazing just plain as well. Silver Palate and McCann's are my fav brands.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #17  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

Honestly, I'm surprised to hear so many people say they put peanut butter in their oatmeal, I would never ever have thought to do that- it sounds a little....well, odd....yucky, but I'll try anything once- I'll also have to give steel cut oats a whirl. Thanks all for the fab suggestions......it's going to be an interesting few days of breakfasts.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #18  
Peace. Love. Balance

I did it, I ate whole grain oatmeal for breakfast.....what I did was make a pot of oatmeal and instead of water I used vanilla soy milk, I split it in to different bowls and added a teen drop of Splenda in one, sunflower seed spread in the other, vanilla extract in one and cinnamon in the other, all with a piece of banana and tasted them all....I liked the one with Splenda in it best- go figure. :P So I discarded the split portions and made a new portion with 1 packet of Splenda, 2 tblspns of flax seed and a banana and I have to say it was pretty darn good, I would have loved to add another packet of Splenda for a wee bit of extra sweetness, but I resisted.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Ah, go ahead! Add more Splenda! It's not like you eat it by the cupful or anything. When I made my lifestyle changes I knew if I didn't use all avenues to make things taste good, I wouldn't stick to it.

Pssst...try the frozen dark sweet cherries (no sweeteners are added in packaging, just the name of them). Delicious!

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 09-23-2010 at 04:21 PM.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #20  
No description available.

Blend 1/2 cup oats, 2 eggs, and ~1/3 cup of cottage cheese. Add a splash of water if need be. Cook like pancakes. You can even add sliced bananas when you're cooking them.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Blend 1/2 cup oats, 2 eggs, and ~1/3 cup of cottage cheese. Add a splash of water if need be. Cook like pancakes. You can even add sliced bananas when you're cooking them.
I'm totally going to try this out sometime!

THANKS!
Shifterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #22  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

my kids love oatmeal and cream of wheat. lately i make it with vanilla extract and allspice. it seems to need less sweetener with vanilla. i love the smell of them both.
i love,love frozen cherries. we like most any kind of fruit in it. frozen works especially well for kids, when its hot, or they are sick frozen fruit is a little popsicle making their throat feel better.
i've also tried it with chamomile tea that was good. i love oatmeal pb cookies, but hate pb in oatmeal. go figure.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #23  
Peace. Love. Balance

Hmmmm.....some very interesting options I will be trying over time, thanks guys!!!

Midwife, I'll be trying that for sure real soon. I make banana pancakes using oatmeal from time to time, but not like this, this sounds faster and easier. Breakfast is going to get reeeeal interesting. Btw, are you as pumped as me for the new season of Dexter this Sunday?! I have ants in my pants about it, it's my all time favorite show, hands down. I seen the preview for this series, did you get a look?

Last edited by bananapancakes; 09-24-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #24  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
Although the purists will disagree....I HAVE to have sweetness in my oatmeal. I use Splenda brown sugar blend. It DOES have a few more calories than other kinds, but it really does a job on my daily oatmeal.

Here is how I flavor my oatmeal: I always cook a pot of 5 servings every Sunday evening to take to work every day during the week. While it is cooking, I sprinkle in a generous amount of cinnamon. After it is off the fire, I add 5 teaspoons of imitation butter flavoring and stir it in. Portion it out into containers. Each morning at work I reheat the oatmeal and add frozen unsweetened black cherries. Then I sprinkle on the Splenda brown sugar (about 2 tsp or so). I am lucky we have a kitchen at work where I can keep my fruit in the freezer and cabinets for the Splenda. I sometimes use frozen blueberries or chopped apple.
sometime I eat the instant fruit flavors. I count calories so it works for me they are 140 per packet.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #25  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananapancakes View Post
Midwife, I'll be trying that for sure real soon. I make banana pancakes using oatmeal from time to time, but not like this, this sounds faster and easier. Breakfast is going to get reeeeal interesting. Btw, are you as pumped as me for the new season of Dexter this Sunday?! I have ants in my pants about it, it's my all time favorite show, hands down. I seen the preview for this series, did you get a look?
We watch it on Neflix so I am a season behind. So I am pumped to watch the next episode we have, but I've been actively avoiding the preview! It's tough though!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #26  

Add little honey or apple juice..It will be much sweeter..
samantha collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #27  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I also add peanut butter to mine but I use the all natural stuff, no hydroginated (sp?) oils. But I think you mentioned you have a nut allergy? To all nuts or just some?

Another one of my favorite ways to make oatmeal if I need a little treat is to make it half way with a bit less water, then I throw in a lot of milk, lots of fresh blueberries and a little splenda brown surgar. I cook it so the milk is warm and the blueberries burst (if they don't I help them). It's warm and comforting, makes me feel good all over and as an added bonus it helps me sleep - LoL.

I love Dexter!!! But I'm behind also... I don't think I've seen all of last season so I'm unsure if I want to start watching this season! I've really got to find somewhere that rents them!
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 168/155/135

Height: 5'7"

I use single-serving flavored applesauce such as mixed berry or pear on my oatmeal and it's great. I think it alters the texture as well.
Sculptahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #29  
Cookie

S/C/G: 88.0/83.7/63

Height: 170cm

Ah - well I don't understand.
I love oatmeal, and don't find it bland at all. I cook a week's worth with Sultanas and a Cinnamon stick, sometimes star anise. I then keep in fridge -so it's a bit like bircher museli. I don't add any sugar or sweetener. Sultanas are little pockets of sweet enough.
Cookc04 is offline   Reply With Quote