Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Soooo...tea.

I'm new to drinking hot tea but I think it's going to be really beneficial. I was (well, am) a Diet Dr. Pepper addict and decided to give it up for now. It's been a few days and has been easier than I thought! And weight is kind of falling off since. So another low/no calorie caffeine drink is something I'm on the lookout for.

SO, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what kinds are the best/your favorites. Bought some last night, but was really lost at the selection! I got 2 and so far they're alright, really think I just need to get used to the taste.

Would love a certain kind to help me wake up and maybe another that's meant for settling down at night because I get off at 11pm and tend to want to stay up ALL NIGHT. And that leads to eating sometimes, so no bueno.

Thanks!
Luddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #2  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

I believe that chamomile tea is good to help calm you down. I don't drink a whole lot of tea, but Snapple makes a Strawberry White tea that is out of this world delicious. I didn't even know that Snapple made hot tea until I came across it.
Jennie527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #3  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

It's hard because there are so many varieties and everyone has different tastes.

I like orange pekoe tea to wake me up, don't let the name fool you as it doesn't taste like oranges I used to work at Starbucks and my employees would give people orange tea when they asked for orange pekoe haha. Their awake tea is actually the closest to it. I'm not a big fan of fruity teas either.

I also like tetleys honey lemon green tea, and I used to drink a tea called 'sleepytime' before bed. I don't remember who makes it though.

Hope this gives you some ideas!
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Plain orange pekoe too with milk (my English roots). Also Stash Licorice Spice and Numi Desert Lime. And Ginger Tea...it's by Traditional Medicinals. All three very strong in flavour. I don't generally like fruity or minty, but Desert Lime is tart. I think Sleepytime is Celestial Seasonings.

p.s. the orange pekoe isn't decaf, but the rest are.

Last edited by tea2; 09-02-2010 at 06:16 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Chamomile is the best one for before bedtime. Will help calm you.

Black tea and white tea have the most caffeine. Black tea tastes best, I think, white tea is kind of an acquired taste. But I drink mostly green tea. It's lower in caffeine, but so good for you.

I mostly drink my tea plain but sometimes add honey.

Oh, and those chai spiced teas? Try mixing them with OJ instead of milk. Growing up my mom used to make "Russian" tea which was black tea, cloves, some other spices and orange juice. Chai just makes it easier. Really good for when you are feeling under the weather.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #6  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

I love teas with flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, chai. My current favorite is Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice. It's so sweet! You don't need to add anything to it. And no caffeine.

Celestial Seasonings also makes all kinds of great teas with flavors like gingerbread and sugar cookie during the holidays. Stock up!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Thank you all so much! Definitely writing these down.
Luddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #8  
Restart Date: 1/01/2020

S/C/G: 246.2/TICKER/140

Height: 5'4"

I drink insane amounts of tea. Probably 10-12 cups a day.

I go through different moods with tea, but for mornings I love darjeeling, orange pekoe and earl grey. During the day I drink lots of green tea. For the evening, I love mint tea, sleepytime, and cinnamon tea. I think overall green tea and mint tea are my favorites.

My husband is partial to black tea, iced. But he puts sugar in it so I don't recomend that.

Tea is a great way to get more water, without drinking plain water. Lots of health benifits. Good luck finding kinds that you enjoy!
leopardspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Any tea with caffeine should help you wake up, like green tea and Celestial Seasonings has Morning Thunder with yerba mate. At night I like dessert flavored teas... Stash and Celestial Seasonings being my favorite brands... there's chocolate, pumpkin spice, chai and a bunch of others... I collect teas so I always have something depending on my mood.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #10  
WW Moderator

For night time tea, I like Leaf Spa Chamomile Dreamsicle. Yum. I drink it with one splenda. During the day, I like plain black tea (usually English Breakfast or Irish Breakfast) or Moroccan Mint Green Tea by Dragonfly Tea. That's a very mild green tea with mint.

If you have a hard time getting used to tea, try a different kind. There's bound to be one you like! MightyLeaf and Two Leaves and a Bud have good teas, and they both sell samplers. I also like to buy tea at Golden Moon, and get single serving sizes. They have tons to choose from. They are all loose tea, but you can get a steeping ball or cup filter for a couple of dollars.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #11  

I love green tea! Many great benefits. It helps to calm me down too. I usually have about 2 cups a day.
Sherrystanggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

I'm learning from this post, too.

Thanks for posting the thread!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #13  

I love "relax" tea from Trader Joes. It is primarily fennel and has a natural touch of sweetness to it. It really does relax you.
hlaoroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #14  

Height: 5'8"

It really depends on the brand for me. I usually end up giving about about 1/2 of the tea I buy to my neighbor because I dont like it. If you can get multi-packs of different brands that may be a good way to try a few out.

Good luck!

I LOVE green tea, you can go NUTS with the green tea, alone, there a so many!
BlueFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #15  
Stubborn

S/C/G: 195/1175/145

back home Orange pekoe is like god's gift to the world- that's all I knew existed until I moved to another province lol. I find white tea tastes very similar to orange pekoe but has less of a bitter after taste- very clean and yummy. this is my 'day tea'
At night I drink a glass of green tea with lemon and honey every night before bed.

There are lots of people who don't realize that the standard teas (at least here in canada) Bently Tetley - standard tea is orange pekoe
Tea is traditionally classified based on the techniques with which it is produced and processed

* White tea: Wilted and unoxidized
* Yellow tea: Unwilted and unoxidized, but allowed to yellow
* Green tea: Unwilted and unoxidized
* Oolong: Wilted, bruised, and partially oxidized
* Black tea: Wilted, sometimes crushed, and fully oxidized
* Post-fermented tea: Green tea that has been allowed to ferment/compost

I believe it's red-green and white that are usually not caffeinated- but always check labels
Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote