Awesome Raw Veggie Find

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So I have been perusing past this strange looking vegetable for abour 2 years in my local grocery store. I finally broke down this week and bought it. WOW! It is called Jicama-I think pronounced hee-ka-ma. It comes in several sizes ranging from small turnip to large grapefruit size. You just peel it, slice it, and enjoy! It tastes awesome-kind of like a sweet turnip or a not so sweet apple with just a hint of radish flavor. It comes from Mexico and South America. It is a root vegetable.

I looked up the health benefits of it and of course it is low in calories, 1 serving can contain up to 40% of the daily required vitamin C. It also has some of the same healing properties that onions do. It is also high in fiber.

Anyway-very excited about this find. Carrots and celery were getting a little bit old. I have added a new crudite to my arsenal! Enjoy!
  • I may have to try some! Thanks for mentioning it. Does it brown after cutting? I like to get all of my stuff cut up at one time and keep them in containers in the fridge.

Have you tried eating sugar snap peas raw? They have them in my grocery area in the steamer bags and I just buy those and eat them raw almost daily. Same thing on snow peas. Yum.
  • The Biggest Loser 30-Day Quick Start has a wonderful recipe for Peanutty dip to have with jicama.
  • I think that is a good idea - i am always afraid to buy a vegetable or fruit when I don't know what it is - I wil try one and maybe pick one new fruit or vegetable a week to try.
  • Chayote Squash (often called Chayote Fruit) is really good, too.
  • Here in Southern California jicama is a standard off the Mexican fruit street carts mixed with cucumber and pineapple and mango or melon. They give you a tart/hot salt to sprinkle over. Fun snack.
  • Quote: I may have to try some! Thanks for mentioning it. Does it brown after cutting? I like to get all of my stuff cut up at one time and keep them in containers in the fridge.

Have you tried eating sugar snap peas raw? They have them in my grocery area in the steamer bags and I just buy those and eat them raw almost daily. Same thing on snow peas. Yum.
    I also love sugar snap peas and snow peas. I also recently started buying frozen edamame (not sure about the spelling) letting it thaw and eating it raw. As far as the Jicama browning-it actually tends to turn grayish-like a potato. I wrap the cut up pieces in a wet paper towel, place them in a ziploc baggie, and they tend to last for quite a while.

Leesha
  • I've been wanting to try this one. I've seen people make jicama fries. How do you peel it? like a potato?
  • Thanks, Leesha, I'll try that!
  • I've never heard of Jicama! I'll have to look for it! Thanks!
  • I couldn't find any at the grocery store last night....?? I was in a hurry, so I will look more closely next time. I thought I had seen it before.
  • To ringmaster- Yes, you peel it just like a potato

To Anniedrews- Ours is located between the tamarind and ginger root and the potatoes.
  • Jicama is so yummy - glad you are enjoying it! When I lived in Mexico, it was often served along side carrots and cucumber pieces, with lime juice and chile salt (sal con chile at the latino grocery stores). One of my favorite restaurants there made a 'tricolor' salad with grated cucumbers, grated carrots and grated jicama also with lime and chile salt if you're looking for a new twist on salad. I like the sound of the peanutty dip mentioned above though too - will have to try that.
  • Quote: The Biggest Loser 30-Day Quick Start has a wonderful recipe for Peanutty dip to have with jicama.
    Thanks for that! I am going to have to try that dip!!!!

Leesha
  • I had jicama slaw once - it was great, but very fattening (oil based dressing). Here's a recipe for jicama slaw that looks good, and low cal. I think I'll try it and put it on a vegetarian chili.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/jicama_slaw.html