Edible Paper Chips

• Snack chips made from paper, flavored with organic flavors. Practically calorie free

Flavors will include mint, blueberry, cheddar and wasabi.

Apparently they will be on the shelves sometime this fall.

http://www.hafsteinnjuliusson.com/slim-chips/

It sounds crazy, but if the ingredients are all natural and there's nothing funky in there, then I'd try them. At least the mint.

How about you?
  • Ooo, I'd try the wasabi!
  • I don 't know about that, but the website is interesting and fun. But I used to eat paper in elementary school, and it's wasn't that great.
  • I don't know if the whole 'It's like eating tasty air' does it for me, haha.

I would try it at least once if it was available. I'd go for cheddar or wasabi, as long as there is no gluten.
  • What a concept! ROFLMAO I can only imagine the price tag on a bag of these suckers! Colorful and oh so yummy like- bring on the bag of blueberry- okay NOT! Albeit it will cause gas & someone may get "PLUGGED UP" from having too much paper consumption!
  • Hmmmm...based in Iceland.....I see it taking years to hit the markets in the U.S. with all the testing that is probably required??

I suppose people will overeat paper as much as they do snack foods, though. Then have a bowel obstruction.
  • I don't think I'd eat this. I think kale chips are a much better option, now if they wouldn't be so expensive, I could eat them all the time. (Although they are fairly easy to make and I have made them myself)
  • These were in Food Network magazine as well. I think it's just...odd. And really, do we need to encourage mindless eating? Even if it is paper?
  • Edible PAPER???? Oh ickkkkkkk. One time I picked up a bag of Atkins chips to eat with my lunch: the darn things tasted like cardboard sprayed with Chee-tos cheez!
  • I can't imagine it having any real appeal for the average person, or even the average dieter. For most folks (at best), I would expect it to be a novelty item (a practical joke or a one-time experiment).

Sadly I think it will have the most appeal to the people for whom it would be most unhealthy - crash dieters and people with eating disorders.
  • What's interesting is that if they marketed in a different way, I can totally see it appealing to dieters in general, like the Shirataki noodles.

Change "eat our chips made of low-calorie paper" to "our chips are made of cellulose fiber, which allows us to make these great-tasting chips with practically no calories". Both are true - one is novelty, and one is a diet product.
  • I kind of thought it was a joke! But I would try the wasabi... I'm wondering about the sodium content.
  • This almost seems like a practical joke, but I'd definitely check out the cheddar one! I love snacking on crispy things.
  • Sounds a bit weird, and it would probably be super expensive.
  • The restaurant moto in Chicago does this. Their menu is printed on edible paper made from soybeans that is flavored. I don't have the kind of cash it takes to eat there though, so I can't tell you how it is!

For charity, Moto also infuses sheets of paper with over 2,000 calories and sends them to starving children around the world. Cheap to ship with a long shelf life.

Sorry for the t/j, I've just always found that so interesting.