What to eat on race day?

• I've entered into my second 5k in August. Instead of being in the morning like the last one though, this one is at 6:30pm. Help me to decide what I should eat on that day... I usually run in the evenings about 2 to 2 1/2 hours after supper. I was planing to eat breakfast, a light lunch, then around 4pm I thought I'd do a medium supper. WW Pasta maybe? And of course, lots of water through out the day.
  • I think you got it down. One suggestion would be to eat what you plan to eat, when you plan to eat it and do a practice run at the time the race would be at. See how you feel and make adjustments.
  • Totally agree with LYNNEGAL22- I have heard time and again not to experiment with your routine on the actual day. Some runners even find out what type of electrolyte drink (Gatorade type stuff) is being passed out on race day so they can try it out and make sure it does not disagree with them.
  • evening races are tough. Timing the food throughout the day so you are well digested but not hungry is really hard.

I'd go with a slightly larger breakfast than usual. At lunch start with the more digestible foods maybe than normal -I wouldnt do salads (---oh wait I have a 5K tonight and DID do a salad...crud..lol) and then yes, around 4 have something to eat.

I personally need a little protein mixed in with my prerace dinner so it doesnt fly through too fast. Since I am more used to racing in the morning I will often eat my race breakfast 2 1/2 - 3 hours before an evening race. Toast with pb (short end) or maybe oatmeal with some nuts (longer end).