Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #16  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by going2bskinny View Post
:O really I love their produce too it does go bad a lot faster though because it doesn't have all the chemicals in it to keep it fresh so you have to eat it faster but I love the quality.
The quality here just isn't good. I buy my produce at an all organic market and it is so much better quality. And it wasn't like I tried to keep the things at Trader Joe's a week and then eat them, it was within a day or two and the texture/taste just wasn't there.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 226/207/190 (mini goal #1)

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Which is strange because I generally tell people to not buy produce at Trader Joe's because it is crap. I've been burned too many times with their crappy produce.
Wow. I guess it depends on which one you go to. I usually go early in the day too, just a few hours after they open, that might be a factor too. The major problem I have is since they're organic, they don't last as long as the supermarket ones. I try not to buy too much at one go cause they are spoiled by the end of the week.
glassbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbutterfly View Post
Wow. I guess it depends on which one you go to. I usually go early in the day too, just a few hours after they open, that might be a factor too. The major problem I have is since they're organic, they don't last as long as the supermarket ones. I try not to buy too much at one go cause they are spoiled by the end of the week.
Not all Trader Joe's produce is organic. Actually they used to not have a lot of organic produce here at all. Now I've noticed they have started adding some more organic produce but still less than half of their produce here is organic.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 226/207/190 (mini goal #1)

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Not all Trader Joe's produce is organic. Actually they used to not have a lot of organic produce here at all. Now I've noticed they have started adding some more organic produce but still less than half of their produce here is organic.
I noticed that too. I bought zucchini Saturday and I noticed that the organic ones were sitting right next to ones that weren't labeled organic. You have to really pay attention and look.
glassbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #20  

I can bike easily to my Trader Joes. The only item I buy on a regular basis is their brand of corn tortillas (99 cents/dozen). They are very "corny", and sturdy. I bake one and break it up to eat with beans and salsa for a snack or light meal. I do like their frozen artichoke hearts- good value and no chemical taste. When corn is not in season their frozen fire roasted corn kernels are really good- I use them in limited quantities as an accent. In a pinch their frozen tuna and mahi mahi are consistent in decent quality. The DANGER of the place is impulse shopping both to my eating plan and my wallet. Lots of things look interesting, but do I really need them? Is it something I want in the house or will portion control be a factor?
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #21  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I noticed it wasn't all organic also but for me it's better than crappy walmart lol our farmers market here is a joke really bad I wish there was a really good one I could go to I'd go there instead.

Thanks everybody for your faves again sounds great
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 191(86.6)

Height: 5' 5"

i didnt know that all their produce wasn't organic. i just learned something...
chouchoubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #23  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I am SO jealous of you all... I love TJ, but there aren't any conveniently located for me to get to on a regular basis...

My favorite thing from TJ... is.. Charles Shaw Wine.

Last edited by SCraver; 07-29-2010 at 11:57 AM.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 191(86.6)

Height: 5' 5"

Hello! Just wanted to add the Awesomeee

Trader Joe's Roasted Seaweed snacks. They are 99 cents a pack at my trader Joes, and they are 60 calories per pack! (Supposed to be 2 serving per package)

Nutrition summary: (via fatsecret dot com)
Calories30
Fat2g
Carbs1g
Protein1g
There are 30 calories in 1 serving of Trader Joe's Roasted Seaweed Snack Packs.
Calorie breakdown: 69% fat, 15% carbs, 16% protein.

Product Features (via Amazon)
Crunchy, a little salty and surprisingly nutty, Trader Joe's Seaweed Snacks are an intriguing change of pace in the snack lane. Enjoy them as a snack or break apart the pieces and sprinkle them over a salad for a twist on the ordinary.
Ingredients: Seaweed, expeller pressed canola oil, sesame oil, sea salt. V (Vegan) Symbol on each package indicates this product is free of all animal products and/or by-products including meat, poultry, fish, eggs, diary, honey, gelatin, lanolin and confectioner's glaze.

Try them! skinny snacks ftw
chouchoubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #25  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

mmm i wanna try that thanks for sharing
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 341/321/250

Height: 5'9"

I love the 3 layer hummus, it is so good and it freezes well. I have to buy a couple at a time since I live about 100 miles for the nearest one.
LeslieWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #27  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

My "favorite things" from TJ's aren't all virtuous - ha - but:

Sharon's Lemon Sorbet (1/2 cup = 110 calories, and I'm usually satisfied with 1/4 cup)
Sharon's Coconut Sorbet (1/2 cup = 140 calories. Utterly decadent, better than Skinny Cow ice cream for those cravings. Seriously, Haagen-Dasz is NOTHING to this.)
Mochi of all kinds -- but especially Mango and Green Tea flavors. (Notice a trend? I go to TJ's a lot in the summer.)

Lemon Thins. OMG.
Molasses Chews Not pretending this is healthy.
Pumpkin butter. I like getting this fresh from farmer's markets, but in the winter when I can't find my favorite local farm that has THE best pumpkin and apple butters (which are really just 'buttery' low-cal jams), TJ's has a close second. 35 calories per Tbsp, you'll never feel deprived of pumpkin pie (or peanut butter) again.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #28  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I love TJs. Their prices are great on a lot of items, and I'm always finding new things I like. Some of my favorites:

-Roasted red pepper and tomato soup (I adore this stuff)
-Freeze dried fruit
-Fried pinapple chips (I don't eat these regularly, but they're a great alternative to potato chips for a party. Just pineapple slices and oil, nothing else in them.)
-Sweet potato sticks
-Frozen brown and basmati rice (each packet is the perfect size for 2 people for dinner)
-Another vote for the pineapple salsa
-Package of pre-chopped onions, carrots, celery
-Happy trekking trail mix (nuts = good fats, and the little bit of chocolate satisfies my cravings)
-Powerberries (these are NOT good for you, not in the least. They're chocolate covered bits of formed fruit. But oh my word are they delicious)

I'm sure there are a ton of others, but those are the ones that come to mind right now.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #29  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

- bagged baby spinach (cheaper than elsewhere)
-1% cottage cheese (consistently good, unlike other store brands)
- balsamic vinegar (the Trader Joe's brand in the square bottle)
- candied pecans (just a small handful chopped in salads)
- Tapioca pudding (not low cal, but I love the stuff)
- Laughing cow cheese
- Crumbled gorgonzola (fantastic in a spinach salad with pears and previously mentioned pecans )
- Sprouted Cinnamon Raisin bread (I mix plain laughing cow with a bit of splenda and cinnamon and use it as a spread...YUMMY - like cinnamon cream cheese)
-Shredded smoked cheeses mix (just got this, used it in an quiche - delicious!)
- Canned beans
- Frozen green beans, peas, pearl onions, edamame
- Frozen salmon patties (80 cals each)
- Frozen seafood mix with shrimp, scallops, and calamari - great in stir-fry
- Reddi-egg egg substitute
- Cinnamon grahams (I'm not going to pretend they're low sugar - but they are whole wheat, and the best graham crackers I've ever had)
- Dark chocolate caramel wedges
- Frozen fruit (cherry berry mix, mango, blueberries)
- Frozen fresh basil or garlic (kept in the freezer for when I'm feeling lazy - comes in little cubes)
- Punjab spinach simmer sauce (but I think they've discontinued it )
- 0% fat greek yogurt - TJs brand or Fage

I just picked up a package of their Chicken Andouille sausage that I'm going to try with Louisana style red beans...I'll let you know

Edit: Oh, and Black Mango Tea!!! I love this stuff, so does my roommate - we go through tons of it

Last edited by spixiet; 02-13-2011 at 12:34 PM.
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #30  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Quick note of thanks:

I just ran to TJ's this morning (only 1.5 m) and hiked back with the groceries, two huge bags. I get my veggies at a dining hall so I was just buying snacks, and I LOVE the suggestions you guys made for low-cal snacks! I chose Pineapple Salsa, Soy/Flaxseed chips, Better than Butter, and 3 Layer Hummus all based on your recommendations!

Other things I discovered today:
• TJ's Rice Cakes (these are AMAZING. 35 cals each, and they're huge. at 14 to a bag for $1.50, they're also pretty cheap.)
• Luna Bars (one @ 170cal satisfied me all morning -- and so yummy)
• FiberFul fruit leathers, 60cal/ea
• Triple Ginger cookie thins -- only 15.6 calories per cookie and pretty decent at 2g saturated fat per 9 cookies. YUM.
• Almond Breeze -- available everywhere, but still amazing: 40cal / 8oz and seriously more satisfying than skim milk or soy milk.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote