Sugar and cream alternatives?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I just cold turkey dropped the sugar and started drinking my coffee with skim milk only. It turned out to be way easier than I thought.
  • Quote: Sometimes I will also do a packet of Truvia and a tinny bit of vanilla extract which just gives me a flavor of sweet.
    What an excellent idea re the vanilla extract! When I first began drinking coffee I always drank it black b/c I didn't have the patience to deal with the cream and sugar. But in the early '90s I got hooked on flavored coffees and now use creamer to bring out the taste. I gave up the sugar, but the creamer I desparately need. I think I'll try the vanilla extract and also almond milk someone mentioned upthread.

Thanks for the tip!
  • Coffee-mate has low fat and no sugar creamers, you could try those.

Or just milk and artificial sweetener. My mum doesn't like skim milk in her coffee because it isn't thick enough, so she actually buys this brand called "skim plus" which is like...concentrated skim milk. It tastes the same as milk but has more protein and vitamins and a little creamier consistency.

Also to answer your question, stevia is a sweetener extracted from the stevia plant. It is marketed as "PureVia" or "Truvia". They are just allowed to drop the word "artificial" because it is derived from a plant, but it works the exact same way that other sweeteners do. Basically, your "sweet" taste receptors bind and send the sweet message to your brain, but your body doesn't break down the molecules into something usable as energy.
  • Quote: Also to answer your question, stevia is a sweetener extracted from the stevia plant. It is marketed as "PureVia" or "Truvia". They are just allowed to drop the word "artificial" because it is derived from a plant, but it works the exact same way that other sweeteners do. Basically, your "sweet" taste receptors bind and send the sweet message to your brain, but your body doesn't break down the molecules into something usable as energy.
    Ok, thanks! I have never heard of it and had no idea what it was exactly. I appreciate the info.
  • Sometimes I use non-fat powdered milk in my coffee. I stir in a spoonful. It works well, b/c it tastes WAY creamer than skim milk.
  • Hi springjacka. I drink a lot of coffee too. I have tried and tried to switch to skim milk and I just can't do it. I know I'll never drink it black either. I'm hooked on sweet and light. For me, the compromise is to use Coffee-mate sugar free French Vanilla. I use the powder. I can add as much or as little as I want. I know it's not the healthiest choice, but I find it's about 30-45 calories per coffee and I absolutely love it.
  • coffee is something I haven't given up yet, and sometimes I don't think I should since it's sometimes enough to steer me away from sweets, cakes and cookies.

I can drink it with a packet of splenda and the new So Delicious coconut milk or I use the Coffee Mate or International Delight creamers with no sugar or sweetener, they are sweet on their own. If I am out and having coffee I'll have skim milk (very rarely, I try not to drink regular milk) or one of those packets of regular creamer with a pack of splenda.

I would miss coffee too much, and I feel it isn't a real diet breaker when the creamers are used in moderation (60 calories in the creamer vs. 300 calories of cake)

Also, cinnamon is nice to add sometimes, it gives a hint of sweetness and flavor...and makes me feel like I'm drinking a Starbuck's coffee. =p
  • Quote: Also, cinnamon is nice to add sometimes, it gives a hint of sweetness and flavor...and makes me feel like I'm drinking a Starbuck's coffee. =p
    I am definitely going to have to try this! I absolutely love Starbucks!! The closest one to me is about 40 minutes away, which is probably a blessing in disguise because I'm sure I would stop in everyday if it were right here in my little town...