Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

Gnc is pretty pricey. I would recommend buying a small container to make sure you like it. Nothing worse than spending money to buy a ton and hate it. That's what I did. And once I liked it now I order a couple containers at a time online. MUCH cheaper that way.
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #17  

Height: 5'5"

I use the Gold Standard Protein Powder. That stuff is GREAT...TONS of protein with only like 2g of sugar!! some of the powders are LOADED with sugar...be careful. Gold Standard runs about $40 a can, but lasts a LONG time. it tastes good too. i will make shakes with it, or sometimes put a scoop in my oatmeal for flavor.
shoeluver67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #18  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Quote:
Originally Posted by schubunny View Post
The reason I want the shakes is I don't get much protein as it is. I get some from red meat and cheese, but that's about it. So the shakes will help me with that. And also I don't eat before I go to the gym because I feel sick if I do, so a shake would help.

Thank you again!
Just in case you don't understand this--a cup of low fat cottage cheese has 28 grams of protein and 160 calories. A scoop of protein powder has (according to calorie count--this may vary) has 23 grams of protein and 120 calories. If you don't like cottage cheese, that's fine, but if you don't think it has enough protein per calorie, it's actually about the same. It's better than those protein powder with a lot of sugar.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #19  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
Just in case you don't understand this--a cup of low fat cottage cheese has 28 grams of protein and 160 calories. A scoop of protein powder has (according to calorie count--this may vary) has 23 grams of protein and 120 calories. If you don't like cottage cheese, that's fine, but if you don't think it has enough protein per calorie, it's actually about the same. It's better than those protein powder with a lot of sugar.
I am not a huge fan of cottage cheese, but I don't mind it. And would way rather eat a cup of cottage cheese over protein powder. And it keeps me full way longer. Might have to go get some cottage cheese!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #20  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
I do put cottage cheese in most of my recipes. About a cup in a 6 service recipe (macaroni casserole for example). Sometimes I even eat it out of the container. I do like it, but I don't know if it's enough protein in a day as I don't have it all the time and I eat less than half a cup if I do.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 235/235/145

I know this is an old post but I'd still like to contribute in case anyone else comes across it!!! I've had the same concern before, and was told that it is very, very, very hard for women to bulk up (as far as muscle goes - Lord knows I can make my butt bigger just lookin at a cupcake!!!) and the body builder women that you see that are super jacked are typically taking testosterone supplements, as women do not produce enough testosterone on their own to bulk up. I second crcossel's suggestion about buying the protein at Costco or Sam's - you can get a HUGE bag of it for a lot less than what you would spend at GNC or the gym. Vitacost.com also typically has good prices.

My favorite recipe for a smoothie is as follows: 1 cup of milk (you can use soy, or I use So Delicious coconut milk, 1/2 cup original, 1/2 cup vanilla), 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, and 1/2 tbsp of agave nectar (honey works well also). It always tastes sooooo good, and is really creamy and filling! You can also add in liquid vitamins, fiber powder, etc without altering the flavor too much!
Jecca811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 235/235/145

There's also a brand of protein powder and drinks called Isopure - they are low (or maybe no) sugar and carb, and have flavors like green apple and blue raspberry. The flavors are really good, they are just kind of expensive, but the powder is good on its on mixed with water (I don't like mixing normal protein powder with water - the consistency really bothers me!!!) which saves you calories and carbs!
Jecca811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #23  
Started Precon 6/29/11

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

My husband likes the Market Pantry protein in chocolate (Target's store brand). It's $14.99, and one of hte cheapest we've found. We do not like the cheap one at Walmart, though. Price clubs like Sam's or Costco are good places, as others have said. If you find a more expensive one you like, I would look at the prices on Amazon. That has been the cheapest place for me.

Recently, I've just started using 100% any whey protein-- it's "tasteless"-- well, it has a very slight taste, but I add it to crystal light, and it's fine. If you added it to a smoothie, you wouldn't even notice it. It all depends on what type of shake you want-- a creamy type (go with chocolate or vanilla flavors) or a fruity type (the tasteless versions are best for that).

When blended, protein does tend to froth up a bit, but most of the time I like that. It keeps me pretty full, too. The bad thing is that sometimes you have to try a few brands to find one you really like.
tkdtara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #24  

I like Jillian Michael's Whey Protein Powder and I get it at Walmart for $10. It comes in chocolate or vanilla. I add fruit to the vanilla. Sometimes I make the chocolate with cold coffee and have a mocha shake.

I lift weights 3 days a week. Unless you are a serious body builder, you don't need protein powder before you work out...carbs give you the energy if eaten 30 minutes before. Have protein within an hour after working out to help in repairing muscles. This info came from my personal trainer.

Whey is what is left after cottage cheese is made. Cottage cheese is milk solids with the whey removed. Yogurt is in the middle.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 192/178.2/145

Height: 5'6"

I like Nectar protein powder. It's fruity flavored instead of milky. You can buy samples of ebay.
sumnerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #26  
(slim) shady

S/C/G: 193/188/155

Height: 5'2"

Very helpful information here. I think I'm going to try the Jillian Michaels from Walmart as Quilter in VA suggests with maybe low fat milk and a banana? I dont know if frozen berries would be good with the chocolate. Either way, 10$ seems like a good place to start experimenting from.
steinanwine is offline   Reply With Quote