3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   How do you feel about Jello? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/200381-how-do-you-feel-about-jello.html)

caryesings 04-26-2010 06:58 PM

When I was breaking my candy addiction, SF jello made with half the water gave my a chewy, "sugary", fruit flavored treat to keep me away from the gummi bears.

duckyyellowfeet 04-26-2010 08:15 PM

I don't like Jello. I think it tastes strange and I don't like the texture.

As for the WW thing, its 0 points per serving. Since a cup is considered a serving, you'd had to adjust the points accordingly if you ate ten.

tommy 04-26-2010 09:00 PM

Kaplod's post reminded me of a mouse I used to make. It was long ago but I occasionally remember it with fondness and may experiment. At the time it was a packet of some kind of milk powder based diet drink dissolved with water and Knox unflavored gelatin- allowed to set and whipped in a mixer at high speed. It turned out really thick and tasted great. I sometimes added a touch of instant coffee powder to the chocolate flavor. This may be possible with a Swiss Miss low cal cocoa. If I get a good result I will report back....after I find the mixer in storage after my move!

astrophe 04-26-2010 09:10 PM

My dad loves grape or strawberry jello with vanilla ice cream.

So in my mind it was always "dessert, kinda junky" type food.

I don't make it often myself but since having a child, I've made it for her once in a great while just so she can mold it weird.

A.

oodlesofnoodles 04-27-2010 12:25 AM

I love jello. I love how it tastes and how it feels and all the stuff I can do to it to change the consistency. I like to scoop it into my mouth and shake my head and feel it jiggle. I also like that I don't feel guilty at all eating it.

It's definitely not for everyone. Some people are disgusted by the consistency/flavor of it, and I can't blame them. It's different. But I love it, and at only 10 calories a serving it's a good treat :)

kaplods 04-27-2010 01:59 AM

Every once in a while I buy fruit jellies and puddings in oriental groceries - they're pretty much veg*n jello - they use agar agar (a seaweed) instead of gelatin. They're not diet, but they don't have to be refrigerated and they come in all sorts of flavors, and they come in tiny cups too - so they're more like a piece of candy (15 to 20 calories for one little half-shot or smaller little container). I ration them out carefully, usually as a very tiny after meal treat). Lychee and mangosteen are my favorite flavors.

dumplingtype 04-27-2010 09:14 AM

I have fond memories of sf jello for dessert. My grandma would rarely have any sweets in the house, so that bit of jello with cool whip was absoutely heavenly. As an adult, really don't like it at all. Also reminds me of when I was Atkins (convinced that diet helped to kill my gallbladder!) when I mix sf jello with heavy cream and cream cheese for dessert. The thought now makes me quesy. Although I do like to watch it jiggle as it sets. I'm so mature!

AnnieDrews 04-27-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caryesings (Post 3265074)
When I was breaking my candy addiction, SF jello made with half the water gave my a chewy, "sugary", fruit flavored treat to keep me away from the gummi bears.

That's a great idea!

dayoneagain 04-27-2010 11:39 AM

I don't like it at all.

But I figure if I make it and have it in the fridge then I have the choice to either:
a) not snack at night
or
b) snack on jello that I don't really like but that will shut my brain up with it's stupid incessant IWANTTOEAT nagging.

And if after a couple of days I haven't wanted to snack at night my SO is more than happy to vacuum it up with his face within seconds.

oodlesofnoodles 04-27-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 3265500)
Every once in a while I buy fruit jellies and puddings in oriental groceries - they're pretty much veg*n jello - they use agar agar (a seaweed) instead of gelatin. They're not diet, but they don't have to be refrigerated and they come in all sorts of flavors, and they come in tiny cups too - so they're more like a piece of candy (15 to 20 calories for one little half-shot or smaller little container). I ration them out carefully, usually as a very tiny after meal treat). Lychee and mangosteen are my favorite flavors.

Oh my goooodness, I haven't thought about those in YEARS. All my little Asian friends used to have them around their house and I loved them. They're like these but the ones I had had fruit in the middle.. I think. It's been so long.. I need to get to an Asian market.

MoveMoveMove 05-05-2010 05:16 PM

I love jello. When I was little, we had it as dessert with ice cream.

Now I like it just as well by itself. Especially peach flavored. I love the taste of peaches put not the texture, not to mention how it looks when the pit is removed - shudders. But peach jello - yum yum. As a previous poster said, I like to shake it around in my mouth or squish it thru my teeth.

AnnieDrews 05-06-2010 11:48 AM

You know, because of this thread, I made some SF Jello this week for my family. Younger son is loving it and wants lime flavor next! Thanks!

bellenoir 05-06-2010 01:01 PM

Hate jello

hate jello! I rather have an activia yogurt.

evoo 05-06-2010 01:42 PM

Jello makes me gag. Even when it has vodka in it. Always has.

What I like are pudding shots, but then we're getting off topic and dangerously contraband-y. :p

Renwomin 05-06-2010 01:55 PM

I get jello. I think about making it but I never get around to it. I don't hate it and I don't rave over it. I do like thicker jello though. It reminds me of the jello "jigglers" or "knox blox" we used to have when I was young. I need to get some unflavored gelatin to thicken up my jello!

That being said there are many different types of jello salads I can't stand. I hate it with carrots in it. Some of the jello and fruit combos are tolerable to me. I don't like it with whip cream or topping.