Good foods to eat when you have hypothyroid

• I just learned I am hypothyroid and have been researching on the net for what foods are good for you for it.

I have read some vegetables are not good for you with hypo?

Is there anyone with hypo that is on a certain diet to control it?

Or just eat right and dont worry about it?
  • hey just had a look on google and it seems that basically a healthy diet is the key, the most important nutrient you need is selenium because this is what converts the thyroid hormone.
    here's what i saw for specific foods - 'A healthy diet for someone with hypothyroidism would include whole grains, natural foods, plenty of fruits and vegetables and a good supply of seafood and other lean protein. You should cut back on fatty meats. A multivitamin is probably a good idea if you don't already take one'

hope this helps
  • thank you very much Jayne!
  • No probelm, youre very welcome glad i could help!
  • I'm hypo, and while a healthy diet can help support healing, for me I really need my meds at the right dose. It is like night and day when it is wrong!

A.
  • I've been taking synthroid for almost 30 years....it's really important to take any thryoid medicine with a full glass of water. My pharmacist said to not drink or eat anything else for one hour...even coffee. She also said to avoid alot of calcium and fiber for a few hours.
  • I've been taking synthyroid for about 8 years. I take my pill first thing in the morning with a glass of water. Then I don't eat for 20 minutes after that.

Soy products should be limited, and should not be consumed within 4 hours of taking your pill because they inhibit absorption. It is also recommended that cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts) be limited as they have a suppressive effect on thyroid hormone levels. I eat both, but try not to eat too much of them too often.
  • 3eans - you are so right about the soy and waiting to eat!! since I don't often eat soy I forgot to mention it.

I also read that raw peanuts can effect the thryoid!

I agree about the crusiferous veggies...I eat them too in moderation. It's never really affected my thyroid.