Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 336/290/196

Height: 6ft3

Default Sugar free jelly

I've seen a couple of threads about sugar free pudding but don't think I have about sugar free jelly, unless i'm being blind??
I don't have too much of a sweet tooth but i love jelly and probably as you know theres a load of calories and sugar in normal cube jelly. So I get Hartley's sugar free jelly crystals (you may not have this in US,but prob an equivelent) and they have a load of flavours. One sachet of crystals makes a v.large cereal bowl full and it is only 32 calories for the whole bowl!! and it is very nice too, pretty much tastes like regular jelly to me!
JayneEnglandUK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 193/170/140

Height: 5'5"

I think our equivalent would be Sugar Free Jello but I am not sure.
Sheena41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #3  

ahhh yes jello, that would be it :-) if its half as nice as our equivelant then i recommend it
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #4  

Sorry i should have said jello!!! you probably thought i meant jam (jelly in your country) lol. I dunno, different words for diff foods, its funny!!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayneEnglandUK123 View Post
Sorry i should have said jello!!! you probably thought i meant jam (jelly in your country) lol. I dunno, different words for diff foods, its funny!!
That reminds me of the time I told some people that my friend from the UK wore leather pants. He was absolutely horrified when he found out and told me they were TROUSERS. Apparently "pants" mean male underoos over there?
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

it's also like the time i told some english people i loved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.. they looked at me like i was some kind of an alien for a moment there...
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #7  

hehehehe yeah it can be very confusing!!!! everytime i speak to someone from the US, they never know what the **** i'm talking about!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #8  
Short dresses here I come

S/C/G: 157/122/130

Height: 5ft6

Hartleys Jelly!
I am a huge fan! And I'm so glad that I found this thread because until now, I didnt know you could get their low cal sachets~ I just have been buying the pots!
So I just made up a bacth of lemon & lime sugar free jelly and it's setting in the fridge~ The calorie information is a little confusing though; one sachet is 32 calories right? :/
VeeDeValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDeValentine View Post
Hartleys Jelly!
I am a huge fan! And I'm so glad that I found this thread because until now, I didnt know you could get their low cal sachets~ I just have been buying the pots!
So I just made up a bacth of lemon & lime sugar free jelly and it's setting in the fridge~ The calorie information is a little confusing though; one sachet is 32 calories right? :/
hey veedee, i'm glad i've helped yeah i know what you mean, is a little confusing but yes its 32 cals, well ive had blackcurrant and strawberry so far and they were both the same so won't vary i wouldn't have thought. one portion is supposedly a quarter of a sachet, which is 8 calories. so, a full sachet is 32 cals
it's really cheap too isnt it, i paid about 48p in asda and thats 2 sachets so i was well impressed
Old 03-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #10  
Short dresses here I come

S/C/G: 157/122/130

Height: 5ft6

ahhh that clears it up alot thank you! <3 so much cheaper than the pots! I think mine was 37p from sainsburies! I just ate it actually <3 very nice! I totally feel like I splurged despite it's healthiness!! <3
VeeDeValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #11  

no worries :-) i'm happy to help!!! how much are the little pots? i bet you theyre nearly the same as 2 sachets arent they lol?? ooooh ill have to get myself to sainsburys, save some money aswell as calories hehe .
yeah i made the mistake of making up a full sachet and seen as it was only 32 cals i thought what the ****, ill eat it all!!! and then felt ever so slightly sick afterwards!!! way more filling than i expected! is the lemon and lime good? got some of that in the cupboard
Old 03-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #12  

just been looking on hartleysjelly.com and they have a load of recipes on there and you can use the sugar free stuff, some of them look pretty good and should still be pretty low in cals if ya fancy a bit more of a proper dessert
Old 03-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I actually DO eat peanut butter and jello sandwhiches (or at least did, until I stopped eating bread. If I can find a good gluten-free bread, I will again.

You do have to eat the sandwich right away or the jello will seep through the bread. The jello is actually better than jam/jelly because ith helps disolve the peanut butter a bit, so doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth as much).

US terminology trivia: Jam is used in the US also, but the difference between a jam and a jelly is that jam has chunks of fruit (sometimes called preserves) and jelly is smooth. Jello is a name brand, and gelatin is the generic.

Puddings are almost always technically a custard, except for bread pudding (which is generally quite sweet). A savory bread pudding we call either stuffing or dressing (because it was traditionally stuffed inside of poultry).

When I first started shopping in asian markets, I was quite confused, because I did initially think the little jelly cups were preserves, rather than gelatin. Technically they're not gelatin, because the gelling agent isn't gelatin but agar agar (a seaweed). I also bought desserts labled "puddings" that were milk or milky gelatins (containing nondairy creamer instead of milk).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #14  

ahhhh thanks for the info kaplods :-0 yeah its funny isn't it how it's not even gelatin in it anymore!!!!
i may have to try the PB and jelly, that sounds very interesting!!!! a bit weird, but yummy lol. especially with the sugar free stuff, will be miles better calories wise than using jam. we dont have any jams (that i know of) that are good for slimming, theyre all ridiculously high in sugar and cals. do you have any over there? my fave of any jam is grape jelly you have in america, again we don't have it lol!! maybe i should just move there then i would be happy hehe
Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Yes there are a few brands of low calorie and/or low sugar jams and jellies. To add to the confusion, they're often labeled "fruit spread," rather than jelly or jam.

I've had this brand and it's really good

http://www.polanerallfruit.com/polaner/index.html

Smucker's is another brand that's very popular, and in addition to regular jams and jellies they also have sugar-free versions (hubby is a big fan of grape jelly, and he's diabetic so we buy the Smucker's sugar free grape jelly quite often).

Aldi stores (I know Aldi stores are in other countries, but I don't know if the products are the same) carries a "Fit and Active" brand of no-sugar-added jams. I like the strawberry and the black currant. The have a couple other flavors, but I don't remember them off-hand. I think one is a mixed fruit combo called "fruits of the forest."

I also googled and found this little article that was interesting

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/pro...garfreejam.htm

The one good thing about American's being so food obsessed, is that we can get almost any food available anywhere in the world. I've become addicted to gourmet import shops and asian markets. Exotic fruits are my favorite, and I'll spend ridiculous prices to try a fruit I've never had before. I spent more than $5 to try a dragonfruit. It was very pretty and tasted nice, but not special enough to ever buy one again.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote