what to do with eggplant - Page 2 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #16  
it's always something

I cut mine into about 1 1/2 cubes, toss with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt. I roast it in my convection oven, and it gets nice and crispy. It also freezes well!

I don't like all eggplant though, some varieties just don't taste right to me.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #17  
it's always something

Oh Barb thanks for the link that sounds fantastic!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Very welcome! I am trying so hard to find ways to eat my veggies...I never ate a lot of them before and I'm trying new ways to prepare things so that they taste good to me. That lasagne recipe looks just fantastic and I can't wait to try it. Don't need groceries for a couple of weeks so unless I happen to go to the store for something else and remember the recipe, it will be a bit before I can give it a go. I have an adult daughter who is vegan, so always on the lookout for recipes for her, too.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I just saw this recipe for a sort of eggplant quiche today: Aubergine Cheesecake

I'm going to try to see if I can make it lower calorie. It might work with feta -> low fat feta; cream cheese --> yogurt, and cream --> low fat milk or evap skim milk.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 227/195/135

Height: 5'4

I made this Summer Vegetables Gratin (it's from foodgeekery dot com but I am too green to post links yet) today with eggplant as one of the main ingredients. I really like how it holds up much better than the other vegetables in the dish and it's really tasty.
ricepapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #21  

I love eggplant! My favorite is white eggplant, but I'll cook with any of the different eggplant varieties.

I admit, I haven't read this whole thread, but here is my recipe for eggplant that my family loves!

I peel the eggplant, then cut it into bite size squares. I throw them in a saute pan with a tiny bit of olive oil and saute about 10 minutes, then I add about four garlic cloves (grated). My family loves garlic, but you can use less if you need to. Add a bit of salt and pepper, a can of diced tomatoes and some grated low fat mozzerella and parmesan cheese.

I stir over low heat and then transfer to a baking dish. I bake the mix about 20 minutes at 350 or until the eggplant is soft. (The time depends on how soft it gets when sauted.)

When it is done I serve it over spaghetti squash and it tastes just like eggplant parmesan or eggplant lasagna without any pasta calories.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I love eggplant, too! I do alot of what's been mentioned here. Here's another spin on somethings mentioned.

Cook cut up eggplant on the stove with tomatoes (canned or fresh) - add any or all of the following: zucinni, garlic, , mushrooms, peppers, green beans, etc....then add a can of drained garbonzo beans. It's good with brown rice or on some kind of pasta or even on it's own. Add some oregano or basil as you wish when cooking. Put some parm cheese on top.

Dh likes this one too.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-30-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote