Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 07:35 AM   #1  

Question

Okay, here's another 'anyone do this?' type of question.

Sometimes, in my particularly detail-obsessed moods, I divide out big containers of foods into single servings. I often do this with french fries -- though instead of single servings, I typically divide them into double servings (6 oz, 220-240 calories) which is what I normally eat. That way when I want fries I grab a bag, and I know I'm not sneaking my portions up in size.

Yesterday I went to Trader Joe's. I now have 4 individual serving packages of Pirate's Booty, 11 packages of chocolate-covered raisins, and 16 packages of Cat's Cookies. I feel sort of bad using all those plastic bags up, but it helps me with portion control. It also helps in assembling lunch in the morning, if I can just grab a pre-allocated bag of cookies and toss them in. I mean, this is why people buy individual size chips, cookies, cereals, etc.

Usually this helps me with portion control. I've been known, though, to do through four or five 'individual servings' of things like jelly beans in a single sitting. At least then I KNOW how much I'm eating as opposed to everything blending together into something nebulous I can plead ignorant of.

So am I particularly anal retentive, or does anyone else do this? I don't do it all the time, but every now and then.

Scuttle

P.S. I also prepackage little baggies of snackable veggies -- grape tomatoes, carrots, green pepper strips, etc. But that's more for lunch packing convenience. I've yet to have a problem with binging on too many green pepper sticks, unlike jelly beans, cookies, chocolate, etc.
Old 03-21-2001, 08:47 PM   #2  

Yes - I do this also -particularly with Pirate's Booty. I also keep a small tub filled with baggies of 2 pt snacks. I keep Cookie Crisp (1cup = 2 pts), Air crisp pretzels, Chex mix (I forget - it's maybe 2/3 cup?) ANyway - whenever I need something, I know I can find a "safe snack" in that tub.
Old 03-22-2001, 09:12 PM   #3  

I prepackage a lot of food. I don't worry about wasting zip lock bags..I am worth it. I prepackage wow chip, pringles free, and homemade muffins. I also make things like meatloaf, bake it , and then divide it into single servings. I also peel and section several oranges at a time. All this prepacking just helps keep me on track, and packing a lunch a "piece of cake".
Old 03-27-2001, 06:51 PM   #4  

Its a great idea and keeps you in control of your portions! I made a batch of No Pudge brownies aand cut them up in 16 squares (may I just say how LITTLE they are??) and wrapped each one on plastic and stuck them in my freezer. That way I can grab one and I know its exactly 2 points.

FYI..those borwnies are divine frozen!
Old 03-27-2001, 08:34 PM   #5  

Jilly: Do you just eat them frozen, or do you thaw them a little first? How long will they keep in the freezer?
Old 03-27-2001, 08:38 PM   #6  

Skuttle,

I eat them right from the freezer, sometimes I defrost them for a few minutes..but just as good rock frozen! I have had a batch in my freezer for over 2 months now (call that control!). And they are just fine. Just make sure you wrap each one individually.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:56 PM   #7  
RonaldMcDonald's LuvChild

As long as we're on freezing and portions. Does anyone freeze naked cooked pasta? I always have ziploc bags and the containers on hand. I haven't made pasta yet (since 9_14) since I tend to binge on it. DH and I use a pound of whatever shape/style I cook up.

I want to have my share spread out over three or four lunches without boiling a miniscule amount each time.

Any clue how to do this? Cook, rinse, freeze? Then nuke? Or would I have to boil a pot of water anyway to bring it back to life? That doesn't sound terribly efficient. LOL
Old 10-17-2002, 07:28 PM   #8  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Angry I make my own fajitas

and I cook alot of chicken and veggies (seperately) and than I measure out 2 oz. of chicken per baggie(that is enough for 2 fajitas for lubch) and I divie up the veggies in with the chicken so my fajitas have a line of chicken and LOTS of veggies. I usually get about a months supply of fajitas for lunch this way.:apple: :cherry:
Closed Thread