3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   My torrid love affair with mayo (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/196953-my-torrid-love-affair-mayo.html)

Raichu 03-17-2010 10:56 AM

My torrid love affair with mayo

I confess: I would marry mayonnaise if I could.

Since visiting Holland a few years ago and learning that mayo + fries = holy yum, I fell in love with it, being fully aware that it is absolutely loaded with calories.

Now that I live in Holland, I've made the transition to fritessaus (I don't know if you've ever had it, but it's quite similar to mayo, thicker, tangier, and with less fat!). Lately I've taken to stretching it with a wedge of Laughing Cow light and some minced garlic when I have it with my chicken breast, which works really well and is a less painful way to get my raw garlic.

I began my new lifestyle in January and have not changed my mayo habits for the most part. I have lost weight steadily. But I know that the lower I get, the more changes I'll have to make to keep the weight coming off.

What do you like to use in place of mayo? Or do you just indulge when you want it? Considering that mayo and olive oil are pretty much my only sources of fat - I eat mostly lean protein, whole grain, and fruit - should I worry?

What's your relationship with mayo? :D

nelie 03-17-2010 11:01 AM

I don't like mayo myself so I can't relate :)

What do you use mayo for? For sandwiches, I use mustard or hummus.

nicollem 03-17-2010 11:57 AM

I am also a mayo addict.
I grew up on miracle whip actually and I prefer the taste of it.
Now I use the fat free miracle whip. It has the exact same taste and texture of the full fat stuff at like 20 cals per table spoon versus the 100+.
So glad I didn't have to give it up!

Shytowngal 03-17-2010 12:08 PM

I LOVE mayo too!

I try not to use it at all now, but if I do I use the Olive Oil Mayo - it tastes just like the real thing but with 1/2 the calories and fat (only 1 WW point per Tablespoon).

Palestrina 03-17-2010 12:31 PM

I'm a mayo girl too. I just try to limit my intake of it. Try not to switch to low-fat or zero-fat versions of mayo because they're loaded with sugar, corn syrup, and unpronouncable ingredients.

I have recently begun to use avocado on my sandwiches. It has a great buttery flavor, nothing like mayo of course but still rich and delicious. Hey you didn't always like mayo as much as you did, you can learn to like something more healthy just as easily. It's all habit.

nelie 03-17-2010 12:44 PM

Oh yes, avocado ! I love avocado, hummus, cucumber sandwiches, so good! Well or avocado and anything.

AnnieDrews 03-17-2010 05:03 PM

Fat Free Cream Cheese has 30 cal. per Tbsp. I've been using that on my english muffin.

We also have been using the Olive Oil Mayo. It has a good flavor and my 13-year-old told me the other day that he likes it alot!:carrot: The fat free Miracle Whip is good, too.

I do like mustard on some things, but sometimes only mayo will do!;) They are two such opposite tastes to me, I can't replace one with the other.

kittycat40 03-17-2010 05:24 PM

I love mayo also. This weeknd I was making egg saldd and haad a few blts (bites, licks and tastes) of the mayo! For me, it seems ok if I eat mindfully, just a bit here and there.
But, wow, it is gooood. Somebody told me if I think hellmans is good, just try homemade mayo- crazy good.

I find the low fat hellmans, not fat free or the other type of lower low fat is ok but I buy the regular version.

Mustard is not the same but still good. Trader joes has a chipotle mustard with 10 cal per teaspoon. It is great. That is for when you return from holland ;)

Asherdoodles87 03-17-2010 06:42 PM

I used to mix mayo and ketchup together as a dip for french fries. I used to love it. I don't know many people who do it, but I learned about it from a friend. Now the thought makes me grossed out and makes me somewhat nauseas. I was in love with mayo too. Now I don't eat any mayo at all. I don't really crave it.

I guess if you are still wanting mayo you could try a lighter mayo. Or you could try experimenting with other sauces in place of mayo. You could also try some different seasonings.

grrlscout 03-18-2010 11:57 AM

I like mayo. But I'm not crazzzyyyy about it.

We had been using fat free mayo. But I found it so sweet. I wonder how much sugar they put in the stuff.

I plan on trying to make my own, with part olive oil, and I'll just go easy on it.

Renwomin 03-18-2010 01:21 PM

I like mayo but usually cut it out all together when I'm dieting. I've substituted mayo for all types of different mustards. The other day I cut some low calorie ranch with some hot salsa to reduce the calories even more and had it on a wrap.

I've had the olive oil mayo, but I prefer Hellmann's Canola Mayonnaise. It has 45 calories per tablespoon and no saturated fat.

Staci816 04-22-2010 12:21 PM

I used to not be able to even eat a fry without having either ranch or bleu cheese dressing to dip it in. Then I realized just how many calories that was and it shocked me into using ketchup! :)

I love mayo, too! I still tend to put it on my sandwiches, but just in moderation. I have used a laughing cow wedge as a substitute, and it works well, but sometimes you just gotta have the mayo!

highflyer 04-24-2010 12:24 PM

I love Mayo. I was eating the regular stuff up until almost a year ago when my partner and I moved in together. We were on a shopping trip and she decided to randomly try the olive oil mayo and I admit it, I was a bit skeptical but now I love it. It's the only mayo I'll eat.

lora m 04-24-2010 01:00 PM

It was trips to Amsterdam during my student days that got me into eating chips with mayo. Yum yum. I still have them on occasion now, but it's oven chips and Hellmans Light. Not the extra light version, because after tasting a Weightwatchers abomination in the past that was extra low, I'm assuming it's going to be weird-tasting.

bronzeager 04-24-2010 01:50 PM

I like mayo in sandwiches so I use low fat; but in salads for a "mayo" dressing -- like with cole slaw -- I use Greek yogurt. If it tastes too yogurty I add a little mayonnaise.