Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 AM   #1  

Default Asian Foods?

Hi girls, a bit of a strange question, but what are some healthy asian food dishes I could prepare easily using just a wok or saucepan? I'm currently studying in China and have NO idea of how to cook the food (which I love) and I am very wary of eating out, so I have spent a lot of time eating eggs and noodles (nice, but doesn't make for much variety). I'm not of Asian decent so I grew up eating European food and knowing about European health-foods, but here it is very difficult to come by them in the general supermarket (there is an international supermarket but the choice is limited and its very expensive). Any advice on good Chinese veggies, any asian recipes (I know you can get the ingredient for thai, japanese, chinese, Malaysian, etc. food around here easily) that are low calorie, and possibly any advice on what to eat for snacks (I am addicted to passion fruit atm, but I'd like to explore other asian fruits too, I just don't know where to start!) would be massively helpful and appreciated!

Thank you so much, and if you have any other recipes that involve veggies and can be made just on a hob (we don't have an oven or a microwave) that would be awesome
dropkickmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #2  
it's always something

What an exciting opportunity for you to study in China! I'll bet it's fun exploring the unique foods, too. I don't eat much Asian food so I can't be of much help. However, I might suggest summer rolls because they don't require cooking. Just finely chop your vegetables (cabbage, carrots, cucumber, bean sprouts, whatever you want to put in them) and roll tightly in rice papers, then make a good dipping sauce. They pack for lunch well, too. Once I had all of my ingredients chopped and ready to go and realized I was out of rice papers. I mixed it into a salad bowl and stirred in a little of the dipping sauce and it made a great salad.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote