Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 218/215/160

Height: 5'7"

I tried the smoothie for the first time this morning. The taste wasn't too bad; the texture was a little grainy, though. I didn't bother adding the fish oil, either, because I already take one as a supplement (1000 mg). My blender didn't crush the ice cubes very well, and the smoothie got thick very fast. I added a little water to make it easier to drink. It kept me full from 6:30 until early afternoon, vs my usual 9:30 am hunger pangs.
monieramony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #32  

So has anybody been drinking this smoothie long term? If so, how have you been doing with the weight loss? I haven't started it yet. I'm waiting to see how others are doing.
Felisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 218/215/160

Height: 5'7"

The girlfriend who told me about this has a co-worker whose "pants are falling off her"; she's been on it for about 7 weeks. I've been on it for about a week (missed one day because I was just so busy). I've only lost a pound, although that's better than nothing. I do notice I feel better overall. I haven't measured anything, but I believe my stomach is a bit smaller than it was last week. I tried making it one day with banana instead of blueberries and it REALLY thickened it up, so I'm sticking with blueberries (tastes better, too). The jury's still out for me, but I'm willing to try it for a few more weeks to seek what results I get.
monieramony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #34  
I'm doing it!

S/C/G: 186/186/135

Height: 5'6''

Are you eating the smoothie in place of a meal? If so, how long do you feel full?
My Body in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #35  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackiG View Post
I thought about doing that. The wheat germ is an oil as well, and smells funky. LOL Probably the main reason I don't mind adding the small amount of fish oil, I don't think that one is the problem.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out!

Wheat germ and wheat germ oil are two different things. Wheat germ is sold with the cereals, and it has a crunchy, dry texture - Also

wheat germ has 17 calories per tablespoon

wheat germ oil has 120 calories per tablespoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Body in Motion View Post
Are you eating the smoothie in place of a meal? If so, how long do you feel full?
I've finally tried this smoothe as a late lunch, and it's a lot more filling than my usual protein shakes (they usually have less fiber, but still still usually keep me satisfied for at least 3 to 4 hours).

I'm not at 4 hours yet, and so far I actually still feel "full" not just "not hungry".

I have to say it was a bit "thick" it was almost like drinking banana bread batter.

And I take fish oil capsules, so I passed on the fish oil, and I also omitted the wheat germ, because I don't eat wheat. I did put in a tbs of almond meal, instead. Next time I'll pass on the almond meal (it's also higher in calorie than wheat germ). I don't think it added anything, except more thickness.

Also, instead of using whole juice (about 100 calories per cup), I used light Pomegranate Juice cocktail (sweetened with Splenda - 40 calories per cup).

Last edited by kaplods; 05-17-2010 at 07:07 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #36  

Default Dr. Oz's Fruit Smoothie

I just went in for a colonoscopy and mentioned this smoothie to my doctor. He said it was the healthiest thing I could be doing for myself and to definitely continue! Someone mentioned that it was too much fiber. Not so.

However, I take the fish oil capsule separately. If you're tasting the fish oil, try a smaller sized capsule, maybe morning and night to see if that works better for you.

Oh, and I use frozen fresh fruit and add a little water to thin it. I figure I'm getting about 350 to 400 calories and have this in place of breakfast. It is a great start to the day!!

Last edited by Phoenix702; 06-18-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added paragraph.
Phoenix702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #37  

Default Greek yogurt

I add 1/4 cup of greek yogurt to my smoothie. It cuts the sweetness and adds a richness to the texture. Fage is by far the best, but Chobani works fine too.
Melody Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Dr. Oz's Belly Fat Smoothie

I have found that if you mix the ingredients with one frozen strawberry and 1/2 frozen banana instead of the ice and mix in the blender, you don't notice the taste so much, I also don't put the fish oil in directly, I take the pill form with my smoothie.
Launal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Calories in this shake?

I calculated approximate calories based on ingredient list. Obviously, these calories are estimates.

1 cup of juice (any variety) 117 Calories
1/2 banana or 3/4 berries (I added both) 50 calories
2 tbs whey powder (I use 1 scoop) 120 Calories
2 tbs ground flaxseed 66 calories
1 tbs ground psyllium husk 35 calories
1 tbs chia seeds (I use ground) 100
1 tbs wheat germ 100
600 mg fish oil (from supplement caspules, break open and add oil only)
3 ice cubes

By my calculations, this smoothie is about 588 Calories. That seems so high even if you use it as a meal substitute. I got the calories from a calorie counting website. Does anyone see anything wrong with my individual calorie counts? Or, do you think this is about right for this shake?

Thanks
Alma4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #40  

i've been drinking the dr. oz fat blasting smoothie for several days in a row. i want to continue drinking it for the health benefits but it seems to have made me constipated. i thought it would have done just the opposite of that. any suggestions or comments?
cayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #41  
saggzz

S/C/G: 222/205.6/170

Height: 5'9"

I take fish oil daily. If you freeze them and take them before dinner you don't taste them later.
saggzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #42  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayden View Post
i've been drinking the dr. oz fat blasting smoothie for several days in a row. i want to continue drinking it for the health benefits but it seems to have made me constipated. i thought it would have done just the opposite of that. any suggestions or comments?
More water and servings of fruit or fruit juice (ideally fruit). Fiber usually does have a laxative effect, but only if there's enough water to (ok a little gross) to make the poo soft and easy to pass.

Drinking more water and other beverages (even caffeinated ones) could be enough to do the trick. If it doesn't, try adding fruit or fruit juice). Whole fruit has more fiber than juice (which should be fine, unless you have IBS, then you have to be careful, at least adding servings gradually. Fruit and fruit juce also have a good deal of water, and fruit sugars that tend to have a laxative and stool softening effect.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-13-2010 at 04:59 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #43  

I love Dr. Oz too! I am going to try this shake. I am doing Belly Fat Cures and it looks like it will fit in well.
BlogDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #44  
it's always something

Has anyone used this smoothie recipe and found that it helped with your weight loss? If so, please send me a PM. A magazine is looking for success stories involving this recipe.

Thanks
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 185/181/130

Height: 5' 3or4"

Thumbs up Oh my goodness!

I lost the magazine that had Dr. Oz's smoothie recipe and I finally got around to searching for it on the internet. Thanks you guys for posting it and all the tips and tricks! My mom is finally buying me a new blender (Ninja Master Prep Pro) and I can't wait to start making smoothies again! Wish me luck!

Last edited by GiggleGoddess; 12-26-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling error.
GiggleGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote