Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #1  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Default Zevia: all-natural diet soda?

I just started reading about Zevia this morning, an all-natural soda which is sweetened with stevia. Luckily it seems we have it locally so I'm venturing forth later today to check for prices. From what I can tell online, it goes for about a dollar a can! So I was just wondering if anyone's tried it here and if it would be worth the price as an occasional treat (I'm guessing it's only available as a 24-pack). Artificial sweeteners have given me some pretty severe issues in the past (especially aspartame) and I'm obviously avoiding the HFCS and sugar of regular soda, so I'm hoping this can be a good alternative that might allow me to have soda once in a blue moon.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #2  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

I've only seen it as a 6 pack and I think it was about $4.50. The nutrition label says zero cals yet it has 11g carbs. That should be 44 cals. Where did the cals go?
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #3  
Meg

They're using "net carbs" when they say 0 calories. Zevia is also sweetened with Erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol that contains calories (4 calories per gram, like all carbs). But because Erythritol supposedly doesn't affect blood sugar levels, the Zevia manufacturer subtracted out the 44 calories to end up with 0. It's legal but misleading, IMO. If I was going to drink it, personally I'd count the calories.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #4  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

I bought a variety pack from their online site. It is pretty expensive. I recently decided to quit drinking diet soda. I tried to put zevia in my day every now and then when I was still drinking diet dew. I didn't like the taste at all. But now that I have stopped drinking diet soda...I have an occasional one of these and they are pretty tastey. I had a ginger ale this morning and is says 13 g carbs Erythirtol

This is something I just read on the internet:

Erythritol is an ingredient contained in many sweet-tasting packaged foods. Consuming erythritol is not a direct danger to your health. However, eating foods with erythritol can lead to other risks.
Identification

Erythritol is commonly misconceived as a sweetener. The Calorie Control Council (CCC) explains that erythritol is actually a sugar al
cohol that naturally mimics the taste of sucrose.
Types

Erythritol is contained in reduced-calories sweets like gum, low-fat yogurt, diet beverages and sugar-free cookies.

Facts

Since erythritol does not contain sugar, it does not harm your teeth. Erythritol also does not have any calories, and is often recommended for diabetics.

Effects

Although erythritol makes it possible to consume processed foods without the calories and tooth damage, it does not promote general healthy eating. The prevalence of this sugar alcohol in packaged foods does not necessarily benefit your health.
Considerations

According to the CCC, erythritol is also naturally available in grapes, mushrooms, pears and melons. You may be better off eating these foods as opposed to empty-calorie packaged foods.
Precautions

Check ingredient labels. Although a product may not contain sugar, it may contain an undesired amount of carbohydrates.

So I am back to wondering if I even want to drink this. I decided to give up diet soda because of the chemicals...so am I really just switching to a :more expensive: can full of chemicals?
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

I've had some stevia sweetened sodas in the past and I wasn't too crazy about it. Newer recipes may be better.

Have you tried IzzeEsque? Low sugar Izze - 40-50 calories per bottle, and no added sugar or sugar alcohols.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

My DW loves it but she has been a stevia user for years. I'm not a stevia fan and not a soda drinker so haven't tried it myself.

Cathy - could you post the source for that quote? There is so much information both good and bad on the internet and it's helpful to know where something came from. Thanks!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #7  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1915506

This is where the information I posted earlier came from.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

Cathy, is there a specific part of that info that scares you? I think the only thing iffy about it is the 'other risks' but the only thing I can find on it is that people tend to underestimate the zero calorie effect and may eat too much, which could lead to a laxative like effect. That would probably also happen if you had the same amount of food with standard sugar.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #9  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

Jennifer my reasoning behind giving up soda was to cut out the chemicals and with not drinking soda my hope was to drink MORE WATER. So I am wondering if I am still "just drinking" chemicals by drinking Zevia...BUT I barely drink one of those a day! I am tweaking my ideas around food and working on a doable plan.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathydoe View Post
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1915506

This is where the information I posted earlier came from.
Thanks Cathy. I avoid most artificial sweeteners but do use a little erythritol. I learned about it first because Stoneyfield Farms uses it and I generally trust their products. I'm going to look around a little more and see what information I can find.

The stevia being sold commercially isn't the same as the stevia people were buying as an herb. Check out the Nutrition Diva podcast about that. It is now super processed and extracted to take the bitter taste out. If you are concerned about chemicals I would suggest avoiding it until more information about the extraction process is available.

An interesting side note about that information you posted from the answerbag, the Calorie Control Council is actually an industry group. I'd take anything they say with a big grain of salt.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #11  

Erythritol has 0.2 calories per gram, not 4.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herb...erythritol.htm

Zevia tastes great but is pricey!
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote