3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Did you know pickles have 0 calories??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/193538-did-you-know-pickles-have-0-calories.html)

losinginillinois 02-07-2010 03:31 PM

Did you know pickles have 0 calories???

I picked some up last night at the grocery. I read the label and about passed out. It said 0 calories! I almost filled my whole cart. lol!

nelie 02-07-2010 03:37 PM

yes, for a serving they do although multiple servings will slowly add up. You could also fill up on cucumbers as well.

Although one thing to remember is they have a lot of sodium which can make you retain water.

Amy9 02-07-2010 05:33 PM

Soo good in sandwiches. I can forgo the mayo for some pickles..

Jane 02-07-2010 07:46 PM

I especially like the sugar free Bread and Butter ones.

kaplods 02-07-2010 09:10 PM

Zero calories on food labels just means "less than 5." Reading pickle labels, I've noticed that pickle serving sizes and calorie content have been dropping over the years (the calories haven't really been dropping, just the way they are counted). Brand that used to list a serving size as 3 or 4 pickles, and the calorie count as 10 or 15 are now listing the serving size as 1 pickle and the calories at 0.

Jane - I love bread and butter pickles, but have never seen a sugar free brand. Would you mind sharing the brand and where you find them - where they on the shelf with the other pickles, or with the sugar free and/or health foods?

I love sweet pickled peppers too. In the summer I make my own refrigerator pickle, but in the winter I buy the pickled yellow banana pepper rings (at Aldi for 99 cents a jar) and I drain off about a couple ounces of the liquid and add Splenda (I didn't measure, but probably about 3 to 4 tablespoons). I put the lid back on, shake to distribute the sweetener. The hardest part is waiting a few days to eat them (the longer they sit, the better the flavor penetrates the peppers).

Jane 02-07-2010 10:10 PM

Kaplods - the bread and butter pickles are Mt Olive brand, and are available in spears and slices, both. I got mine at Walmart, but have seen them in other stores. Good luck!

QuilterInVA 02-11-2010 05:02 PM

Sugar Free and Dill pickles have no calories on the label. Regular sweet pickles have plentry from the sugar.

evoo 02-11-2010 05:06 PM

I have never seen a 0 calorie pickle. In fact, I ate one last night and it had 10 calories. But then, we buy the big ones in the cooler section -- by the deli meats -- so it makes sense that because they're larger the calories would have to be listed. Low cal but high sodium like someone else mentioned. :)

orangebelpeper 02-14-2010 03:41 PM

I buy huge pickles so it says that each pickle is 5 calories! That's nothing!!! I eat them a lot but if I eat them right before bed I can tell that all the salt has made me retain water :(

ennay 02-14-2010 04:28 PM

Yes they have a lot of sodium, but pickles are a snack that can stop some cravings cold for me. I never sweat water weight, it will come off tomorrow.