Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #1  

Default Is Subway bad?

I know all the stuff about jared but i had just ate a spicy italian sub it was like 6 or 7 inches because i cut some of it off and gave it to someone else. But is eating a 7 inch sub bad?
OBIsqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

it depends on what terms you are defining "bad". If you mean fat wise, i think the under 6g fat subs are pretty good. If you mean, calorie wise, the under 6g fat also seem pretty good. Nutrition wise? Probably not so bad, I'm not sure what sugar etc is in the bread, but since you can choose what you add to your sandwich you can make it as "good" or "bad" as you like for the most part. So if you have a sub with lots of sauces, cheese and tons of meat and little salad on white bread, you might consider this to be less "good" than a roast chicken sub, with salad, no sauce or cheese, on whole grain bread.

I dont think Jared's results are typical, and personally I dont think subway is inherent;y "bad", but i wouldnt eat it everyday really. Just like I wouldnt eat anything else everyday
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

Not "bad," but it doesn't taste great :P

I'm not a big Subway fan.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I like Subway but I usually get the salads. The breads are not whole grain--seems like they would be. Also, it depends on what you have on there. The oil, mayo and cheese can all be killers.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #5  

Okay, thanks I don't think I went over my calorie limit then.
OBIsqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

you can find their nutritional information online, subway.com i think
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #7  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

lately when I get a sandwich craze I do go to subway and order a 6" veggie delight". I also don't eat the top bun. I personally think its too much unnecessary bread. It is a "sometimes" food for me, but as far as fast food options on my books, its a pretty decent choice.

Last edited by eroica27; 01-16-2010 at 07:56 PM.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:45 AM   #8  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I've been very frequently eating a 6" veggie delight with no sauces for lunch throughout my entire journey. Due to the nature of my schedule, I am often out around lunchtime, and Subway really is my best option. I don't think I'm eating anything hugely nutritious, but the rest of my food is, so I don't sweat it. It's nice to have one no-brainer meal I can let somebody else prepare sometimes.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 164/143/138

Height: 5'73/4"

Default Subway is just fine

Like anything else, it just depends on what and how much you eat. I eat Subway regularly. Here is my meal: 6 inch veggie on wheat, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, olives, jalapenos, hot mustard, vinegar, and pepper jack cheese. For chips I love the plain baked Lays, and a tea. Filled up and know that I did not over-do it.

westtexaschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/170/150

Yeah it def does depend on what you get. However, they have a "fresh fit club" and everything on that menu is really good for you. I get the roast beef, apples and a water (355 calories and 6g of fat). Much better than other fast foods by far!

I tried to the link but I don't it won't let me. Just search subway fresh fit club nutrition facts
AmandaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #11  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Like others have said, Subway can be good or "bad" depending on your choices. There are some 12" subs on the menu with sauce and cheese that can add up to the same calories and fat as a Mcdonald's big Mack meal so you do have to be careful. I would strongly suggest looking online for the calorie chart and seeing what is available ahead of time. I would stay away from their house sub sauce. It adds 110 calories, all coming from fat just for a six inch sub!
As for Jarrod, it is true that he did lose weight while eating his main diet from Subway. What isn't as clear is that he also walked miles three times every day to get to Subway and back. I remember watching some type of TV show featuring him, and he claimed that is was the walking that took the pounds off him combined with Subway veggie subs.
Anyway, Subway can be a better choice than fried burgers if you are careful what you order
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #12  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

I don't think it is a "bad" place to eat, but I do think that it isn't a "best option".

http://subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNut...tionValues.pdf

I like the oven roasted chicken breast on the italian herb & cheese (I ask that they "pull out" some of the bread in the top) with pepperjack cheese - toasted - lettuce, tomatoes, olives, pickles, vinegar and I have a "packet" of the southwest sauce that I use sparingly on my own.
That is approx 525 calories just for the sandwich. I DON'T add chips or a drink. I keep a water bottle on hand at all times.
I know that if I cut out the cheese I could cut out 50 calories and if I cut out the sauce I could cut out 50 calories, but I would also cut out most of the flavor.

I prefer to keep my lunches about 400 calories if I can ... which means I have to pack it myself!
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/234/150

Height: 5'7"

I think that subway is a better option than a frozen meal. It's still real food..
I end up going fairly often because its the only thing close to work and I often forget my lunch.. Grr lol
I usually get a 6in veggie delight on whole wheat for 230 cals. I do let myself have cheese for an extra 60 cals but I also get them to hollow out most of the bread to cut unneccesary calories. Then put my own fat free mayo on (20 cals a tbs!) that I keep at home/work
It fills me up more than a frozen meal does and it tastes better!
nicollem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Here's a tip for those of you who like oil and vinegar (or italian dressing) on your subs: when you go to subway ask for vinegar only (they have a bottle with just vinegar and a bottle with oil and vinegar mixed) and then ask for the seasoning (I think it's basil?). You would never know that it wasn't regular oil and vinegar because the oil has virtually no flavor.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 341/209.1/160

I think this totally depends on what you get there. The spicy italian has a lot of calories in it and its pretty high in sodium. But if you can budget it into your calories for the day, then I suppose it would be alright.

I love their salads and tend to get those when I am in a pinch. I do exactly as Bombe says and only get the vinegar on it. You never really notice the oil anyways.

~Kerri~
kerbear879 is offline   Reply With Quote