Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristyjoy View Post
It's the only whole grain that has protein. I love it.
Most whole grains have quite a bit of protein.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quinoa isn't actually botanically a grain, although it's generally used like one.

It's sometimes called the only grain to provide a complete protein (that is it containing all of the amino acides humans need - usually only found in animal sources).

This isn't completely accurate, in that 1. (as already mentioned) It isn't actually a grain and 2. there are other non-grain foods used as grains that are said to provide complete proteins (such as soybeans, amaranth, buckwheat and I believe hempseed).

What's weird is that I've seen conflicting information in the same book! I can't remember what the book said was the grain that provided nutrition most "most like meat," (which sure implies complete protein) and then listed quinoa as the only grain to contain complete protein.

Then of course there's soy (which is a complete protein, but is a legume not a grain, but is often used like one in soy flour, for example).

Anyone confused, yet?

It's really interesting though (or maybe I'm the only one geeky enough to think so).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 268.8/261.4/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Quinoa has a shocking amount of calories compared to rice.

1/4 cup dried

160 Calories
2.5g Fat
29g Carbs
6g Proteins
5shamrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Shocking? I think maybe you're comparing raw quinoa to cooked rice. Quinoa has approximately the same calories as an equivalent amount of rice.

Remember that to compare grains, you really have to compare the after-cooking weight and volume, not the weight in the dry form. Even so, the sources I checked show rice and quinoa to be very similar in calories both in the raw and cooked state.

Quinoa contains more protein, fewer carbohydrates, and the protein in quinoa (unlike rice) is a complete protein (rather rare among plant sources), but the calorie differences are neglible (in my opinion).

Comparing the calculations above to those below, quinoa would actually have 8 fewer calories than rice.

Brown rice (variety, jasmine)
¼ cup dry
160 calories
2g fat
34g carb
4g protein
2 g fiber

Checking a few sources, and averaging I found these calorie counts for 1/2 cup cooked rice/quinoa

quinoa 1/2 cup cooked 127 calories
white rice 1/2 cup cooked 120 - 170 calories (dep on variety)
brown rice 1/2 cup cooked 110 - 150 calories (dep on variety)

Last edited by kaplods; 01-17-2010 at 10:57 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

thank you all for the info and suggestions!
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #21  

S/C/G: ♡See Ticker♡

Height: 68"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Shocking? I think maybe you're comparing raw quinoa to cooked rice. Quinoa has approximately the same calories as an equivalent amount of rice.
It isn't that shocking !! that small measure of quinoa with puff up just like rice does and get fluffy. I second comparing the cooked grains together.
Mikan is offline   Reply With Quote