3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Talk to me about pasta (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/190274-talk-me-about-pasta.html)

Diana3271 01-09-2010 11:02 AM

Talk to me about pasta

Years ago when the whole wheat (I think that's what it was) pasta came about, I tried it and HATED it. I think it was a lower carb, higher protein and fiber product. I haven't used anything like that since. Are there new products out there that are really good and don't any crazy ingredients? TIA

beerab 01-09-2010 11:57 AM

It's SOOO much better now! I love the active lifestyle whole grain pastas now :) Even my picky husband eats them.

zenor77 01-09-2010 12:11 PM

Almost all the pasta we eat is Trader Joe's Organic Whole Wheat pasta. It tastes great and it's cheaper than some of the more popular "regular" pasta brands.

Rozoni Healthy Harvest is what I use if I need egg noodles or macaroni for a recipe. They taste great too.

LizR 01-09-2010 12:25 PM

I second Zenora's recommendation of Trader Joe's pasta. I thought I was a white bread/pasta only person too until I found Trader Joe's. They have wonderful whole grain bread and pasta and it is not expensive!

JulieJ08 01-09-2010 04:09 PM

I like multigrain pasta better than whole wheat (it's not 100% whole, but it's partial).

I have always read that partial whole wheat pasta is a lot more palatable than full whole wheat. I couldn't say because I don't actually like regular white pasta.

ennay 01-09-2010 05:24 PM

I like the barilla plus, and more importantly so does my family.

I like the hogson's mill whole wheat.

Thighs Be Gone 01-09-2010 06:24 PM

You can try the "blend" pasta--it's part whole wheat, part not.

I would give whole wheat another try though.

Lastly, if you really love pasta--I urge you to experiment and try Shiratake noodles. I have learned to prepare them and like them. They are just 20 calories a serving! However, I usually eat 3-4 servings at a time.

Diana3271 01-09-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone (Post 3085416)
Lastly, if you really love pasta--I urge you to experiment and try Shiratake noodles. I have learned to prepare them and like them. They are just 20 calories a serving! However, I usually eat 3-4 servings at a time.

Are these the ones made with mostly Soy? I can't totally avoid Soy, but I do try to watch it. I am Hypothyroid and I don't want to get out of whack again.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check them out.

Lisa71 01-09-2010 09:26 PM

Hi all!!!
The Barilla whole wheat angel hair is EXCELLENT! To Diane..You really should try the whole wheat pastas again, they have gotten better. I tried them about 5 yrs ago, and hated them too!!! They are really good now. I don't know what changed, but I love them! Also the "Dreamfields" pastas are great. Somehow the carbs become undigestable, and only 4g of carbs are actually digestable! give 'em a try and good luck!!!!
Smile today!!!!

gailr42 01-11-2010 06:50 PM

Probably the ww pasta in my pantry is from 5 years ago - didn't like it, but maybe should try again, too. At any rate, I should purge the old stuff.

Aclai4067 01-11-2010 07:37 PM

i just tried a spinache pasta. It's not bad, but it's not great. Barrilla Plus is definitely my favorite!

westernsoutherngirl 01-12-2010 06:32 PM

I have had really good luck with Ronzoni and Barilla Plus - I have used the spaghetti, penne and lasagna noodles - my family of four men can't tell any difference!

mandalinn82 01-12-2010 06:36 PM

You have to mail order it and it is expensive, but FiberGourmet pasta is amazing. Tastes like regular pasta, fewer calories, tons of fiber.

phatchick911 01-15-2010 04:04 PM

I love the purple box Ranzoni, its awesome!

sweetnlow28 01-21-2010 07:06 PM

Does anyone else like Catelli Smart pasta or another pasta like it? It looks and tastes like white pasta but contains the same fiber and nutrition as whole wheat. I wonder if it is as good for you? I tried making wheat pasta for the family but no one liked the texture of it. We are also limited by what products are available in our area, a small town in Ontario Canada. It can be frustrating to come up with healthy alternatives sometimes.