Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I just want to throw in here that even if you don't normally like chick peas, you might like hummus. My husband and I both aren't really fans of chick peas but he likes hummus and I LOOOOVE hummus.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #17  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

I have tried it before and it was great! Now I want some!
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvchuchu View Post
I always thought it was made with chick peas. I guess there are other ways to make it.
I don't know how much they should really be called "hummus" but there are variations out there using most every bean, oil, seed butter and other flavorings you can imagine!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #19  
Pure American Metal

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/145

Height: 5 ft 7.5 in

Another really good Mediterranean dip is Baba Gannouj made with roasted eggplants.

Calories are pretty low depending on the recipe. I've seen some that use olive oil and some that don't but the Med. restaurant that I frequent does use olive oil. (There's always a layer on top that needs to be mixed up.)

If you like hummus and other similiar dips and haven't tried Baba Gannouj I'd recommend it.
TXJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love bean pastes (and eggplant and other veggie pastes too).

I make dozens of varieties of bean pastes, just by switching up the type of bean and the other seasonings in the paste.

One of my favorite last-minute-recipes for unexpected guests or last-minute potluck invites is a "barbecued bean dip").

I take a can of any baked beans (or even pork n' beans, but I remove the fat cube), add a tablespoon or two of barbecue sauce and puree in a food processor. If I buy barbecue flavored beans, the barbecue sauce isn't even necessary.

If I feel like getting fancy, I'll add a chunk of (one or more of the following) onion, celery, garlic clove, bell pepper, jalapeno.... into the food processor (no need to dice or chop first, because the food processor does all the work).

Drained, white beans and a couple tablespoons of italian or ranch dressing make a really good (and really fast) mix too.

I use the bean pastes as veggie dips, omelette and sandwhich fillings.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

I love hummus. I usually stick to dipping vegetables in it since it is a bit of calories. But seriously, good stuff! It's even better homemade if you can get all of the ingredients
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #22  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Only 25 calories per tbsp :

1 C unprepared beans (soak & boil till soft in lots of salted water...drain and put in food processor.
Add: 1 big clove of garlic
juice of 1 lemon
a touch of cumin (optional)
two tbsp tahini
Pulse like crazy till creamy, and refrigerate.
Use as a spread or dip. You can add a few olives, nuts or roasted peppers before serving
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #23  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think it tastes a lot better when you make your own but I admit I'm lazy sometimes and buy it. When I make my own, I usually omit the olive oil but keep the tahini. I love lots of garlic in mine too!!
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote