Where's the spinach, faux spinach dip

• I (thought) I bought some frozen spinach to make my favorite spinach dip (the one on the back of the Knorr Vegetable soup mix, often served in a bread bowl).

So, I started the dip and discovered that I had grabbed broccoli, not chopped spinach. Broccoli’s not THAT different than spinach, right?

Well, I'm about to find out (it's in the fridge now, but after mixing, I licked the spoon - and tastes good to me. A little different than the orignal, but still tasty). Though I'll serve it with raw veggies and non-wheat crackers.

Spinach, err I mean Broccoli dip

1/2 can waterchestnuts, drained and chopped

about 6 green onions sliced thin (whites and about 2 inches or more of the green)

1/3 cup sour cream (I use regular or light, I’m not a real fan of the fat-free)

1/3 cup mayonaise (I like Hellman’s Canola mayo - only 50 calories a tablespoon).

Vegetable soup/dip mix packet (Knorr’s, Lipton, or a similar brand).

Optional (if you like garlic), minced fresh or dried garlic to taste

1/3 of a bag of frozen broccoli

Microwave broccoli until tender (or use leftover cooked broccoli). Chop or puree in food processor or blender - or with a knife.

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for at least an hour to blend flavors and soften garlic (if you used any).
  • Ok, I tried the dip with some rice crackers and snap peas. And it's very good. The texture is a lot different than the spinach dip. Chunkier, almost like ham salad or egg salad. I think it would make a nice sandwhich filling (if I could find a bread that I can eat).

It's pretty good as a dip too - though I think it needed the extra garlic (or maybe an extra packet of the veggie soup mix).

All in all, a successful improvisation.
  • sounds good! thanks for the tip!