Chicken: White vs. Dark

• So everyone says that breast is better for you than the dark parts of the chicken, but other than calorie wise, is there any other reasons?

I find I can eat chicken breast moderately (and have found many great ways to prepare it since I've started this new healthy lifestyle of mine this past year), but it's just way harder for me to eat regularly than dark meat.

If I account for the calories in my daily calorie allowance, is there some reason why I can't have dark meat instead, or half the time?
  • I think there is sat. fat in dark because of the higher fat content. But I eat plenty of dark chicken meat. As long as calories are accounted for, go for it!!
  • No other reason than the higher fat content that I can think of!

I see you're going to India in January - I went in January 2008, it was amazing! Which part are you off to?

(Just to let you know, I lost tons of weight while I was there! I came back looking healthier than I had for years. Shame I put it back on!)
  • When it comes to chicken and turkey, dark meat is a bit higher in calorie and fat than white meat, but not tremendously (about 30 calories difference per 1/2 cup for chicken). They all count in my exchange plan as 1 meat exchange per ounce, so I buy whatever is is cheapest or best for the meal I'm planning.

I like cooking with thigh meat instead of breasts in dishes that tend to dry out the breast meat. Dark meat is a lot more forgiving when it comes to overcooking, - and it's a whole lot cheaper.

If there's a sale on boneless breasts, I will buy them (I like white meat for making chicken salad) and if there's a sale on bonless thighs I will really stock up.

I even make buffalo, barbecue and asian grilled or broiled "wings" out of bone-in thighs. I cut each thing in half, cutting parallel to the bone (one piece will have a bone, and the other will be a boneless strip) then I marinate in hot sauce, barbecue sauce, or an asian sauce, and then bake or broil them until they're done. So good, and even using the dark meat, they're much lower in fat and calories than wings ounce for ounce - and even more so if you remove the skin from the thighs before cooking.