Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #1  

Default Hot wings recipe!

So, I love hot buffalo wings. Like LOVE them. I did some web research and found a simple, decent recipe for making them. You have to do them ahead of time; on high heat it takes about 2 hours. I am SO EXCITED to try this recipe because I love buffalo wings, but they are disastrous for weight loss! I am having a little difficulty with the serving size calculations though, so if anyone could explain it to me that would be awesome. I can't see how 16 wings make 32 appetizers unless they get cut in half. Which isn't fun at all.

But still it is exciting to find a recipe that doesn't involve frying and oil for hot wings. Yummmmmm. And I would eat it without blue cheese, I hate blue cheese anyway.

http://www.recipe.com/low-cal-buffal...ue-cheese-dip/
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 228/178/164

Height: 5'8"

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!! I'm assuming that they are calling for 16 full wings before they are split into the drumstick piece and flat piece...once split, there would be 32 peices
Lots2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #3  
back on track

S/C/G: 184/ticker/130(?)

Height: 5'8"

I remember seeing an episode of Eat Shrink and Be Merry, where they made baked chicken wings..and they looked soo good.

Here's a link to the recipe:
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/reciped...px?dishid=8413
mandi<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #4  

Ooohhh I have made honey-garlic wings before and I am super interested in trying out that recipe! Thanks!
Old 10-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #5  
Gonna be a marathoner!

S/C/G: 268/258.6/134

Height: 5'4"

Oooh, this is great. I bet with some adjusting, you could also do these with chicken tenders or breasts in the Crock pot too. Man, this would take care of some of my buffalo chicken cravings, awesome. And I don't always have to have the dressing either. Thanks!
Tibouchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #6  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Now we're talkin!!! I WILL be trying this recipe - thank you!!
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

What's the difference between chili sauce and hot pepper sauce?
"1-1/2 cups bottled chili sauce
3 to 4 tablespoons bottled hot pepper sauce"
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #8  

I think chili sauce is an Asian hot sauce; like the one with the giant rooster on the front. And hot pepper sauce is like Tabasco or Franks Hot Sauce(which I used to dump into my ramen when I had bad eating habits

Hope that helps. I am SO PUMPED to try these when I get back home.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:18 AM   #9  
Gonna be a marathoner!

I bought a big bottle of the Asian rooster Chili sauce tonight. And a bigger bottle of Valencia pepper sauce. (So I may try flipping the proportions). I'm going to throw those in my big crockpot along with some chicken breasts. Put it on bread for sandwiches. So cheap - I spent about $12 for enough to make 6 sandwiches to start, and I will still have at least half of the sauces left over. Whee!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:55 AM   #10  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Do you know what's really funny? If you click on the link to the left for the "regular" (i.e. not low-cal) buffalo wings, it's exactly the same! They've just changed the name.

Dunno, but 100 cal for one section of a chicken wing doesn't sound that great to me.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I agree it's not a low-calorie recipe - also, I suspect that the chili sauce they're refering to is actually the asian chili sauce that is extremely sweet and syrupy (sometimes with a fruit jam jam base). It's a pale orange color with red flecks of chile flake suspended in the bottle (it's very pretty).

I say that, because of the color of the wings in the photo, and the way they glisten with what looks like a glaze. You're only going to get that kind of carmelization with sugar. Also, the "rooster" and similar chili paste based sauces would be almost inedibly hot in those proportions - the number of people who would enjoy them would be pretty small (I might, but my heat tolerance is very high).

I make lower calorie buffalo "wings" all the time, and my secret is not to use wings.

If I want a crispy skin, and am willing to account for the extra fat and calories of the skin, I use bone-in thighs, and cut parallel to the thigh bone (which creates two pieces, one with a bone, and one boneless strip).

Or I use boneless thighs or boneless breasts (thighs are a little higher in calorie per ounce, but they also have more flavor and are more resistant to drying out, whereas breasts meat can get dry if overcooked even a little).

My last recipe was to use a bottled wing sauce that was low in sugar (I believe it was the Anchor Bar sauce), and use half wing sauce and half light french dressing. I marinated the chicken pieces and then baked them at 400 degrees until done (sorry, I don't remember how long they took, I just started checking them after 20 minutes).

Last edited by kaplods; 10-06-2009 at 11:36 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

For the chili sauce, I bet they mean the American stuff made by Heinz or whoever that comes in a little jar. I only know it exists because I once made a recipe that called for it, and was totally puzzled. This would fit Kaplods' theory on the sugar - that stuff is fairly sweet. (Also, this is the substitute recipe I used for it when I couldn't find it in the store because I had no idea what I was looking for. ).

I like the Frank's buffalo wing sauce in the bottle - it's got less calories/fat than making your own traditional stuff with Frank's and melted butter, but still tastes just as good.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #13  

mayness, I bet you're right. Since the recipe is from Beter Homes and Gardens, they would probably be referring to american style chili sauce - which is basically a sweetened chunky ketchup.

Someone from the UK posted a recipe here on 3FC calling for chili sauce - and I asked if she meant the Heinz variety, and she didn't, she meant the orange asian style (which is apparently a very common condiment in the UK).
Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #14  
Gonna be a marathoner!

Oh goodness...Im glad I read this before I threw both my chili sauces and ended up making inferno chicken. I did think about adding sugar since some of my favorite buffalo chicken versions have some sweet zippiness. Hmmm. I still may play around with the recipe or look one up online.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #15  

It's not a hot wing recipe, but I make an awesome chicken glaze for wings and faux wings.

My mom made a similar sauce from a recipe in a magazine, years ago (probably 25 or more , since I was in high school, I think). It called for currant or grape jelly, but I use no sugar added fruit spread.

1 jar no sugar added fruit spread (I have used apricot, grape, currant, orange marmalade, raspberry). My favorite is Aldi's Fit & Active brand currant (although next time, I'm going to try their Fruits of the Forest).

Melt the jar of fruit spread in the microwave (you can do it in the jar, just be careful) or in a saucepan.

Add a heaping teaspoon of dried minced garlic or a couple cloves of fresh garlic.

Add soy sauce (I don't measure, but I use about 1/3 to 1/4 as much soy sauce as I do fruit spread, so if I use a whole jar of spread, I pour the soy sauce into the empty jar and fill it to about 1/4 to 1/3 full.

1 tablespoon rice vinegar (about half that if using cider or white vinegar).

1 Tablespoon asian fish sauce (or a 1/2 teaspoon of salt or seasoned salt).

Stir until the sauce is combined and pour over chicken in baking pan or crock pot. Or coat chicken with sauce and broil under broiler. Or simmer chicken in the sauce on the stovetop.

If you make them in a crockpot, the skin (if you leave it on) will be soft, and the sauce will be thin.

If you bake in the oven, the chicken skin cooking in the sauce will be soft, but the exposed skin will crispy and glazed. The sauce will be thin (but thicker than in the crockpot).

If you simmer them on the stovetop, the skin will be soft, and the sauce will be thin. If you want the sauce to be thick, you can remove the chicken when it's done, and cook the sauce until it's the thickness that you want.

If you broil, the skin will be crispy, and there will be no sauce.

Hubby prefers it with a thin sauce he can pour over rice.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-06-2009 at 11:59 AM.