Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDream View Post
Mmm, all of these yummy suggestions sound so good!!!

Rockinrobin~ I literally feel like I'm eating food for the first time! I spent so much of my life eating convienience foods that were packed with sodium and sugar and then all the sweets I used to eat that were full of nothing but empty calories...ugh! I'm eating food now that I NEVER thought I would! One in particular is tomatoes--I've always been able to tolerate cooked tomatoes if they were part of a spaghetti sauce, but if there was a chunk too big for my liking I'd avoid it. Raw tomatoes--no way, no how you could ever get me to eat one--EVER! Now that I'm living this new lifestyle, I throw tomatoes in just about all of my veggie dishes!!! My favorite are grape or cherub tomatoes! Mmmmm!

Now if I could just get my kids on board I'd be set!
OH. MY. GOODNESS!

I was the same EXACT way with the tomatoes. EXACTLY. Raw tomatoes? Yuck. And now they are part of my DAILY food intake. I probably eat a 1/2 a container of grape containers every day. Too funny.

And yes, once I started eating healthy and eliminated all the garbage, I was forced to turn to - nature. And boy oh boy am I glad that I did. My taste buds were numb all those years. It all tastes SO much better to me then all that other stuff. And it's so much more interesting.

And lucky me - my kids are on board with me. It's the absolute greatest!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #17  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

We eat squash (of all sorts) all the time at home

In fact part of my lunch is leftover squash casserole.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I recently discovered eggplant too (although I've yet to cook it properly ) and found this recipe: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1049302 it's for Eggplant and Tomato Gratin...It was so good (even if I did overcook the eggplant )!!!!! If you ever want to try it, my suggestion is, don't cook the eggplant for 16 mins in the oven like they suggest--maybe 8 mins (although I haven't tried this yet, I'm guessing, and will be trying it the next time I make it) and follow the recipe from there.

Now a year ago, heck 6 months ago, I wouldn't have touched that recipe with a million foot pole--now, I can't wait to try it again!! Gotta love it!!!!

Last edited by iDream; 09-21-2009 at 02:32 PM.
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #19  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Toss it with some olive oil, garlic, your favorite italian spices, and cherry tomatoes.

When I'm in the mood for SS but am being indulgent, I mix it up with some smart balance and parmesan.

I've never particularly liked it with spaghetti sauce on it, though. To each their own!
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #20  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDream View Post
I recently discovered eggplant too (although I've yet to cook it properly ) and found this recipe: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1049302 it's for Eggplant and Tomato Gratin...It was so good (even if I did overcook the eggplant )!!!!! If you ever want to try it, my suggestion is, don't cook the eggplant for 16 mins in the oven like they suggest--maybe 8 mins (although I haven't tried this yet, I'm guessing, and will be trying it the next time I make it) and follow the recipe from there.

Now a year ago, heck 6 months ago, I wouldn't have touched that recipe with a million foot pole--now, I can't wait to try it again!! Gotta love it!!!!
Wow. I can't cook eggplant to save my life. If I eat it in a restaurant, it's so scrumptious, I can't even describe it. When I cook it, I gag. I need a remedial class in eggplant.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumie View Post
Wow. I can't cook eggplant to save my life. If I eat it in a restaurant, it's so scrumptious, I can't even describe it. When I cook it, I gag. I need a remedial class in eggplant.
Me too! I've tried it twice--once on the grill where it got charred and over done and second in the recipe I mentioned where it got over cooked again--however, I'm determined to cook egg plant properly so I'll keep trying!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitetoobreakkskin View Post
i would like to try this-does anyone have a recipe?
First, I take out my aggression by repeatedly stabbing it with metal skewers.
Then, I throw it in the microwave for 5 minutes and then bake at 350 or so until it's soft. Let it cool off, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds (this is a huge pain in the ***!), and then use your fork to get the squash out in long strands.

I toss it with marinara and organic ground beef.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #23  

You ladies have made me so excited to try spaghetti squash now.. lol. Thank you for the recipes.
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
First, I take out my aggression by repeatedly stabbing it with metal skewers.
Then, I throw it in the microwave for 5 minutes and then bake at 350 or so until it's soft. Let it cool off, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds (this is a huge pain in the ***!), and then use your fork to get the squash out in long strands.

I toss it with marinara and organic ground beef.
The next time I have some aggression to get rid of I'm going to have to remember this!!

rachinma~ You might try the microwave method--the only hard part about it was cutting the squash in half, other than that it was easy peasy! Scooping the seeds out pre-cooking was a cinch too, just scraped them out with a spoon like a pumpkin.

Nevaeh~ I love all the creative things these ladies have done with this squash! And here I was happy with it with spaghetti sauce and sausage--I can't wait to try some of the other recipes mentioned!!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #25  
sugar is the devil

Rockinrobin: Your welcome! Your "recipe" is making me crave squash hardcore right now!!!
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #26  

Hee hee, we've been moved! Thanks mods!
This turned into a great recipe swap post!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #27  
choose your hard

S/C/G: 313/see ticker/150

I've made it with marinara with ok results, but nothing to blow my socks off. Then again, I don't think I was using the best brand of sauce. Maybe a spicy marinara would be more to my liking. I also wonder how pesto would taste with it...anyone tried that?
weezerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #28  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

OK, spaghetti squash is going on the menu this week. I've been wanting to try it, but haven't gotten the courage up. That stops immediately!!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 195/115/115

Height: 5.0

Prompted by this thread, I made a spaghetti squash today. After baking it, I scooped the strands into a casserole dish. Added a chopped sauteed chicken sausage, a can of diced roasted tomatoes, 2 cups sauteed mushrooms with a few garlic cloves, 1/2 cup lowfat ricotta, salt pepper and fresh parsley and basil, and 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan. Mixed it all up. Dusted the top with some bread crumbs and Parmesan, and baked it for 30 minutes. I ran it under the broiler briefly to brown. Yummy!

Last edited by Teachyrchildren; 09-26-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Teachyrchildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #30  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachyrchildren View Post
Prompted by this thread, I made a spaghetti squash today. After baking it, I scooped the strands into a casserole dish. Added a chopped sauteed chicken sausage, a can of diced roasted tomatoes, 2 cups sauteed mushrooms with a few garlic cloves, 1/2 cup lowfat ricotta, salt pepper and fresh parsley and basil, and 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan. Mixed it all up. Dusted the top with some bread crumbs and Parmesan, and baked it for 30 minutes. I ran it under the broiler briefly to brown. Yummy!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote