Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #16  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
Shannon - I saw jasmine rice at Whole Foods this last weekend and got a little bit. It just looked interesting. How is the flavor different from white or brown?
The jasmine rice is a little sweeter than white rice to me, and like HotWings said, it smells great when cooking. It is the type of rice used in a lot of Thai dishes.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:26 AM   #17  

thanks for the tips and the suggestion too! Surprisingly I don't find brown rice as hard or less delicious as white rice, which is why I am SO excited to cook it. Will probably buy it the next time I went shopping

Hmm, here we did have black rice as some dessert, and jasmine rice was quite popular here (never tried, tho), we also have Hainan rice (white rice, cooked with ginger, garlic, pepper and some Chinese spices) so there really are lots of variation of eating rice

I'm happy XD
Trefle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #18  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You can also try millet or quinoa in a pilaf for a change of pace - they take far less time to cook than regular brown rice.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #19  
WW Moderator

White rice is my favorite! But it's also the unhealthiest of rices, so it's on my avoid list. You'll get a lower glycemic impact and more fiber from brown, black, red or jade rice.

Jade (bamboo) by Lotus Foods is my second favorite. It has 10g of fiber per serving.

Behind that is a toss up between Lundberg Wehani (red rice, very aromatic and nutty flavored) and Forbidden Rice (black).

Last in line for my taste buds is brown rice. But it's still good covered in veggies and aged sherry vinegar!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #20  

mm, all these ideas sounds very interesting. I will buy that brown rice sooner or later!

That bamboo / Jade rice sounds really good --and look how much fiber it has! I do wonder if it's sold here :\
Trefle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think you have to consider undifferentiated brown rice (especially Uncle Ben's / quick versions) as different from, say, brown basmati rice. That's what I get, and it's not at all like "quick" brown rice from the box. Tastier and fluffier.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #22  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

A recent fav for me is basmati rice - it is supposed to be lower in GI - and it tastes good. Honestly, sometimes it is just about the taste - lol.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #23  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Goddess View Post
You can also try millet or quinoa in a pilaf for a change of pace - they take far less time to cook than regular brown rice.
I am curious about quinoa - I have seen it and thought it looked like it might taste pretty good. What is the taste comparison to something like brown rice? I'm all for some variety!
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #24  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
I am curious about quinoa - I have seen it and thought it looked like it might taste pretty good. What is the taste comparison to something like brown rice? I'm all for some variety!
Brown rice tastes "nutty." Quinoa also tastes "nutty," but in a slightly different way. If you don't rinse quinoa well, it can taste a bit soapy, so I always rinse it in a couple changes of water (often this is already done for you, especially if you're buying pre-boxed packages - but when in doubt always rinse).

There is a flavor difference between brown rice and quinoa, but it's hard to explain. I want to say brown rice tastes like brown rice and quinoa tastes like quinoa. I think it's a bit like trying to describe the difference between a blackberry and a raspberry. There are enough similarities that a person who likes one, very likely will like the other, but yet they each taste like themselves.

I think the biggest difference is in texture, though that's subtle too. The grains are tinier, and the texture is like a cross between rice and couscous.

My very picky husband (who doesn't like brown rice very much), likes quinoa, especially when I use it to replace the rice in "fried rice."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #25  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I think the biggest difference is in texture, though that's subtle too. The grains are tinier, and the texture is like a cross between rice and couscous.

This is how I'd describe it too - it makes me think of a rice-y version of whole-grain couscous.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #26  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

MMMMMmmmmm..quinoa...fantastic for you and oh so delicious..the sky is the limit with the stuff and the price is right too..

well, HEY THERE KAPLODS--you are so precious! Yay for your new avatar!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote