Ground beef vs. ground turkey

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I had a package of 93/7 ground beef and a 93/7 ground turkey, so I compared the label. I was surprised to find almost no difference in calories, fat, cholesterol, etc.

The ground beef had slightly more cholesterol and the turkey slightly more saturated fat.

A lot of WW members have vowed the turkey to be more healthy. Not by the labels.

I didn't mind eating the turkey and it is cheaper, but it's not nearly as nice to cook with, all sticky and gloppy.

Guess I'll stick to the hamburger.
  • The more expensive ground turkey is made from the breast. It's not sticky or gloppy
    I only use turkey, the family doesn't like the gamey taste of ground beef anymore.
  • Quote: The more expensive ground turkey is made from the breast. It's not sticky or gloppy
    I only use turkey, the family doesn't like the gamey taste of ground beef anymore.
    I agree, you have to get the "good" ground turkey. I, personally, do not like the flavor of red meats. I prefer poultry and fish. I find when I make turkey burgers, I don't have the nasty aftertaste as you get with beef...(I feel like beef tastes like cows smell, if that makes sense.) Anyway, I use ground turkey in chili, taco meat, pasta sauces and everywhere else that a person would use ground beef.
    My family doesn't like the taste of beef, either.
  • I have to admit that I no longer eat red meat but I haven't tried ground turkey yet either . Maybe someday.
  • I have just started cooking with ground turkey (all white meat) and I'm really liking the results. It taste lighter than ground beef and seems to take whatever flavorings I add to it really well.
  • I also use ground turkey for everything...soups, lasagna, chili, spaghetti sauce etc. We love turkey burgers cooked on the Forman Grill. It's very rare for us to use ground anymore.
  • It used to be that you couldn't get as lean of ground beef, and it seems like alot of dieting cookbooks and recipes haven't reflected the availability of 93% or even 96% lean ground beef. I personally prefer it for many applications, as while I do like using ground turkey, I hate to use turkey as a beef substitute.

Also, you can get extra lean ground pork these days too, with only about 4 g of fat per 4 oz. serving. It's great for meatloaf, meatballs, potstickers, etc.
  • I cook with ground turkey breast almost exclusively, sometimes some ground chicken breast. The white meat turkey is .5-1.5 grams of fat, 120 cals & 24-26g of protein per 4 ounce serving.
  • I have always LOVED beef, especially burgers... Since I started trying ground turkey and learned how to season it, I couldn't tell you the last time I ate beef. I haven't tried ground chicken yet, just seems to be hard to find in this area.

I've never noticed ground turkey to be sticky, actually I noticed it was much less greasy on your hands when handling it compared to beef. Then again, maybe it's just me ;-)
  • Evidently we don't have the good ground breast around here. I've checked labels on several different varieties and it's all about the same as the 93% lean beef.

I don't mind eating it. The taste and texture are fine. The biggest problem I have with it, is it doesn't patty well for burgers. But then if I could find the ground turkey breast, it might work better.

I'll look around some more. I'm going to check on the ground pork as well.

I do love the turkey breakfast sausage though. Way less fat, and tasty too! My Sunday morning indulgence.
  • All meats have about the same calories per ounce, when you adjust the fat ratio. That is that 93/7 whether it be chicken, beef, turkey, lamb, pork.... would have a very similar calorie count per ounce.
  • Quote: ...I don't mind eating it. The taste and texture are fine. The biggest problem I have with it, is it doesn't patty well for burgers. But then if I could find the ground turkey breast, it might work better....
    I add dry quick oats (not microwaveable) and 1 serving of egg substitute along with whatever seasong I use to the lean beef mix to make it into patties. It holds great and you cannot taste the oats once the burgers are cooked. I did the same to ground turkey breast for making patties. As it was a mess the first time I tried it without it.

I have tried ground turkey breast and 93/7 ground beef. I don't like turkey as much. I'll eat it sometimes but not all the time. I'll take that lean beef over turkey any day. But we rarely eat red meat so I don't mind.

We recently decided to try ground bison (leaner and more nutrient dense) and we liked it. I made bison burgers (the same way I make beef/turkey burgers) and I freeze them raw. We haven't tried them yet. I did use ground bison as a substitute for ground beef for a taco few weeks ago and it came out great. I like to season everything very well. The key for cooking bison is to not overcook it as the texture will get harder and chewy. Lots of online tips for it.
  • I guess I would go with the ground turkey. However, I tend to buy whichever is on sale. I got a great deal of lean ground beef today and will be serving a taco bar with it in a few minutes.
  • Has anyone tried making tacos with ground turkey instead of beef? I'm wondering how it compares.
  • We only use ground turkey. We use it for everything. In fact Jenni-O makes an already seasoned taco ground turkey that we use. Its fantastic in our opinions. My only suggestion is to give it a try. The only red meat we eat any more is the occasional steak.