3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Butter Substitute (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/180739-butter-substitute.html)

Onederchic 09-01-2009 02:26 PM

Butter Substitute

Now, I already know butter is not the healthiest thing in the world but I love it and I have a tbsp everyday, sometimes two tbsp. My question is, are there any substitutes that actually taste like butter? :|

HotWings 09-01-2009 02:53 PM

I use Smart Balance made w/olive oil.. it doesn't spread very well (kinda hard compared to margarine).. but no hydrogenated oils, etc.. so it is much better for me than butter. You would have to compare the cals to the butter you use, it's probably better, but would have to be compared.

I also use Butter Buds to sprinkle on things like sweet corn & potatoes. It's not fantastic, but lots better than eating them plain. :yes:

Onederchic 09-01-2009 02:56 PM

I will look into the smart balance. The only thing I use butter on is for a slice of bread I eat after I wake. Thanks so much!

Ryanne 09-01-2009 02:59 PM

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray:

I usually use extra virgin olive oil, but this stuff is fantastic, sprayed on bread or toast, you can even make grilled cheese with it, (fat free cheese...tee hee)... but there is no sat fat, no transfat and no calories. I like to spray it on baked potatoes and vegies as well, and sometimes I spray it on fish prior to cooking. I think you will love this stuff!:D

Smileydd 09-01-2009 03:05 PM

I use I can not believe its not butter
I think it taste as good as butter

Onederchic 09-01-2009 03:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions ya'll :D

Wolf Goddess 09-01-2009 06:54 PM

I like Imperial Spread. It tastes great and its about half the cost of ICBINB.

Onederchic 09-01-2009 07:09 PM

Thank you :) I will check it out.

pintobean 09-02-2009 10:28 AM

Check different brands and look for Partially Hydrogenated Oil in the ingredient list. If it's listed in there then put it back. You don't need it. I use smart balance as well. I do like it. They have both regular and light versions. I cook with the regular version (I sometimes switch between EVOO & SB) and light SB I use for sandwiches etc. They don't recommend cooking with light. Also, with sprays, you have to be mindful that the manufacturers can list 0 calories for products if the calorie/serving is less than 5. So, it's very easy to over spray/use products with 0 calories.

nelie 09-02-2009 10:36 AM

I don't know the difference between Earth Balance and Smart Balance but Earth Balance has a buttery flavor. Trader Joe's carries it as well as most health food stores. Some grocery stores carry it as well.

I don't use butter myself but I've known a lot of people who have said they use Earth Balance when they want a healthy fat with a buttery flavor.

Thighs Be Gone 09-02-2009 10:50 AM

I like Smart Squeeze for 5 calories. I also like the non-fat cooking spray on my veggies when I grill or sautee them.

I adore Smart Balance but I binge it. Sigh. Another thing I can't bring in the house.

Onederchic 09-02-2009 11:12 AM

Thanks so much everyone!

gardenerjoy 09-05-2009 01:58 PM

Actually, a lot of the books I've read in the last year or so say that butter, as long as its from cows (or goats) that eat grass, is good for you! They say that saturated fats aren't as bad as we've been led to believe. And, that the omega-3 vs omega-6 balance is much better in pastured butter than it is in many of the vegetable oils that we've been led to believe are "healthy."

I buy pastured butter at Whole Foods (it's seasonal, so I start buying extra pounds this month to freeze for the winter). I use it in small amounts and consider it a healthy choice.

Michael Pollan covers this in In Defense of Food. And there's a good write up in The 150 Healthiest Foods On Earth by Jonny Bowden. Butter is in that 150 list!

harrismm 09-05-2009 02:02 PM

I agree.The amount of butter you consume daily is pretty harmless.

LiL PiXiE 09-05-2009 04:46 PM

My sis-in-law has problems with cholesterol...her doctor told her to stay away from I can't believe it's not butter--told her to only use Smart Balance.

I use Smart Balance and Promise.