How Can I Jazz up Celery?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I think the title of the thread says it all

Ideas needed brilliant people
  • My vote is hummus. I love making garlicky hummus and dipping celery into it.
  • I have never had hummus either. Seems I have lived a very tight and bad food life. Time to expand maybe?
  • Hummus or peanut butter or low fat laughing cow cheese
  • I still have deeply ingrained issues with celery as "diet food", and have trouble with celery sticks. I have found that really crisp celery (especially the more green stalks), thinly sliced, is almost a different vegetable. It works in any low fat slaw as extra crunch. Toss into stir fries before serving. IT makes its own salad that keeps for a few days with lemon juice, mustard and a touch a good oil. I like to keep difference salads like that in the fridge so I can throw together a plate for lunch or dinner quickly with variety.
  • Thanks ya'll!!
  • Definitely hummus! Babaganoush (eggplant dip) would be good, bean dip, peanut butter, tehina (with garlic, lemon juice, cilantro), chopped into egg salad
  • I love celery dipped in salsa! I also like it with cream cheese (non-fat or low fat, of course).

I make a lightened "Waldorf Salad" with celery: 4 oz diced celery, 6 oz peeled and diced oz apple, 4 oz halved grapes, 2 tbsp non-fat yogurt, 2 tbsp fat free mayonnaise, 1-2 tsp SF Torani or other sweetener, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1 oz chopped cashews. Mix it all together and it makes four servings about about 100 calories per serving. I eat it on whole wheat bread with turkey.

If you have a lot of celery that you need to use up, you can add it to all sorts of recipes--tuna salad, egg salad, soups, casseroles, stir fry, etc. At only 4 calories per ounce, it adds a lot of volume and hardly any calories to any recipe.

Tonight I am making pasta with diced ham, blanched green beans, blanched celery, cream cheese and a little milk, dijon mustard, and blue cheese.
  • Thanks Beck and Barbara
  • What they ^^^ said.

Also try spreading tuna on a few stalks. Yummy!

I also like mine with Laughing Cow Lite Cheese sprinkled with hot pepper flakes. Quite delish!
  • I just had fried celery. It was fantastic, a little bit of oil goes along way. The recipe was 4 stalks of celery cut up into useable slices then, shred them, the thinner the slice the less it taste like celery. 1 tbsp of oil, a small red pepper, and 2 tbsp of soy sauce.

I think you can use the whole head of celery i cut each stalk into 3's and then turned it cup side down and shredded it. I used red pepper flakes because that is all i had, i used a tsp and then towards the end i shook some more over it, as i like spicy stuff. It was not spicy at all. I liked it more brown as well too.

Here is the link if i've confused anyone..I made it last week for the first time...it was soooo good!

http://www.recipezaar.com/Spicy-Fried-Celery-23818
  • Oh yeah, i left out the sugar too.
  • Quote: What they ^^^ said.

Also try spreading tuna on a few stalks. Yummy!

I also like mine with Laughing Cow Lite Cheese sprinkled with hot pepper flakes. Quite delish!

Just a fyi - the past few days I have been eating a few celery stalks with 1/2 can tuna mixed with a spoon of mustard and I like it so thanks for the tip
  • Quote: Just a fyi - the past few days I have been eating a few celery stalks with 1/2 can tuna mixed with a spoon of mustard and I like it so thanks for the tip
    Kewl! You're welcome!
  • I don't know if you like hot sauce/Tabasco or not, but every now and then I dash a little on my tuna. Yum-O!