Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I quit drinking cow's milk last year and it was the best thing I ever did. Less frequent migraines, "fog" in my head lifted, chronic cough went away, less need to blow my nose all the time.

My favorite is unflavored Silk brand soy. They also have a little one (Silk, purple container) especially for coffee that's great.

I drink Rice Dream original (unflavored) in the morning with my latte that I make at home.

Soy is definitely an acquired taste I think, but then you just get used to it. When I drink milk now it tastes so...."milky". Not good anymore to me.

~Choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #17  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm tainted since I haven't had dairy in such a long time but I recently bought so delicious coconut milk and it tasted exactly like dairy milk to me. Mimicreme is also a non dairy heavy cream substitute although it isn't as wide spread as soy milk.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 261/241/160

Height: 5'11

I don't like soy milk - it goes bad within a couple of days of opening it. I am on a very limited budget and since I rarely drink milk of any type - I would waste a lot of money.

I just stick to fat free milk. It works for me.
Phantom Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #19  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Thats kind of strange because we have never had soy milk go bad.. I remember having some left in the fridge for up to 14 days and it was fine. Now regular milk if we buy it at the store with the open dairy case is bad in a day.

My husband has recently switched to drinking powdered milk, and that stuff lasts forever.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 261/241/160

Height: 5'11

The only container of soy milk I purchased went bad in three days of opening. I inadvertently used it in my tomato soup and I ended up vomiting it up. So that stopped me from purchasing it in the future.

I heard that the powdered milk tastes really chalky and fake tasting.
Phantom Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I've used a number of different brands and styles of soymilk, and they all lasted longer than cow milk for me, generally for at least a couple weeks. I always hated cow milk that had started to go off, even when others thought it was fine still.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #22  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
I heard that the powdered milk tastes really chalky and fake tasting.
Its all in how you mix it. My family didnt have a lot of money growing up so we lived on it, and my husbands family used it out of convenience so maybe we are just used to it. But to us it just takes like regular skim milk.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 195/150/130

Height: 5'4"

I've considered making the switch for health reasons. I read somewhere that humans after 3 years of age do not need nor should they have lactaid dairy such as cow's milk. The main reason I haven't switched to soy or at least to organic milks are purely because of cost. Being a single mom I just cannot afford spending $5+ on a gal of milk vs. $3. Especially when it comes to my still growing, 6ft1, 16 year old son who drinks about 2 gals a week.

That is the one thing that truly tends to frustrate me while trying to embrace a healthier diet. Someone made a comment in one of the other threads "just do whole foods". Well, that is virtually impossible for the financially challenged like myself.

Incidentally, I also loveee rice milk. it is delish! But again expense prevents me from making the switch at this time.

~I don't believe in coincidence, I believe in God and I am not lucky I am blessed!~

Last edited by Jensaloser; 08-05-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: mispelling
Jensaloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 195/150/130

Height: 5'4"

PS: I do powdered skim, its a staple around here when ya have kids lol
Jensaloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

In a second I'd at least go to skim milk...but I don't go through even a half gallon a week by myself, and my husband won't drink it or use it in anything. So we'd be wasting a lot, even though it's cheaper than soy or any other type of milk...

Dang husbands...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Cow's milk has never had a negative effect on me and I hate the taste of soy milk so I stick to the regular dairy kind. I only have milk about once a month though, I don't drink it and only have it on the rare occasion I eat cereal. When I do feel like milk I buy the smallest container of 1% that I can find (so I don't waste it). Sometimes I even stop at the gas station and buy the single serving bottle of skim, most places have small bottles (12 ounces or so) of plain milk next to their chocolate milk. I haven't had any luck finding this size in the grocery store though, only the gas station or quick stop.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #27  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I drink and use 1% cow's milk. I like, but do not love soymilk, and I can't justify the cost of it. Once in a while I'll buy some light vanilla soymilk just to drink, but I stick to real moojuice for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensaloser View Post
That is the one thing that truly tends to frustrate me while trying to embrace a healthier diet. Someone made a comment in one of the other threads "just do whole foods". Well, that is virtually impossible for the financially challenged like myself.
Isn't animal milk more of a whole food than vegetable milk? I mean, you cant go out, squeeze a soybean stalk, and come back with a bucket of soymilk, after all.

Of course, I've always lived in a farming community, so I might be biased.

Last edited by Wolf Goddess; 08-06-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #28  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Goddess View Post
Isn't animal milk more of a whole food than vegetable milk? I mean, you cant go out, squeeze a soybean stalk, and come back with a bucket of soymilk, after all.

Of course, I've always lived in a farming community, so I might be biased.
I would say that dairy milk is processed as much if not more than things like soy milk. Things like almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, etc are very easy to make. I don't do it out of convenience although the soy milk I buy has 2 ingredients, soy beans and water.

Some would also argue that cow's milk isn't intended nor is it good for humans to consume.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Goddess View Post
Whole milk maybe. Reduced fat milk is pretty processed to get that way, and almost all milk is homogenized and pasteurized.

I would say nondairy milks are processed in much the same way bread or pasta, even home made, is processed. Or olive oil. Or anything else you "make" at home. The nondairy milks are fairly easy to make and comparable to many other "normal" recipes for foods. They can have other stuff added, but they don't have to.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 205/146/125

Height: 5'4''

I really enjoy vanilla soy milk. Costco's brand Kirkland Signature makes it and you can buy it in bulk for a lot cheaper than Silk, Horizon, etc. I personally do not like plain soy milk, but the vanilla is perfect for most things, especially on my Cheerios in the morning. I switched to soy milk because there are many health benefits for women including "isoflavones" which are structured like estrogen. After reading some of these posts I now want to try the almond milk!
maintain is offline   Reply With Quote