3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Butternut Squash (OMG--HASHBROWNS!) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/175770-butternut-squash-omg-hashbrowns.html)

Thighs Be Gone 07-02-2009 11:46 AM

Butternut Squash (OMG--HASHBROWNS!)

Had to post and share...

Read the idea on Hungry Girl...grating butternut squash and preparing in a skillet with onion, salt and pepper like hashbrowns...I just wanted to give this idea a double thumbs up...it is seriously good..I don't know that I would have known it wasn't a potato...

FABULOUS!:carrot:

LindaT 07-02-2009 01:39 PM

I've made that. yes it is the BOMB! I love it with ketchup and tabasco.. just like I would eat reg hash browns!

EmmaD 07-02-2009 02:16 PM

Sounds GREAT! Thanks for posting that idea...

Civakas 07-04-2009 10:27 AM

That sounds delicious. I'm definitely going to try that.

I've also had sweet potatoes hash brown-style. Add a small amount of sour cream on top and it's so very good.

SweetScrumptious 07-04-2009 04:25 PM

Is there a link for this (the hungry girl websites confuses me... I can't find my way anywhere!)

tommy 07-04-2009 08:08 PM

It comes up when you google Hungry Girl butternut squash hash browns. In case your search engine is being a pill the link is:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/week....php?isid=1298

Onederchic 07-05-2009 05:04 PM

This sounds sooo good. Potatoes are my weakness and I have all but cut them out of my diet so I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for sharing.

Thighs Be Gone 07-14-2009 11:30 AM

I am reading more about these this morning since I love them so.

One hint if you do them--refrigerate your squash first. They are much easier to grate.

Anyway, it seems the squash are much lower on the GI chart (51) as compared to white potatoes(85). In addition, they are 1/3 the calories of a potato on the sources I am reading.

Does this sound right to everyone else?

scarletmeshell 07-14-2009 12:01 PM

This sounds really good, am going to try it this weekend. There are some really good recipes in the carb counter forum, Cracker Barrel mock hashbrown casserole. I do miss potatoes.

sleepandfood 07-14-2009 03:02 PM

yum

ennay 07-14-2009 03:09 PM

I also like jicama hashbrowns, although it is hard to get them to brown.

newleaf123 07-15-2009 04:17 PM

Sounds delicious; will have to try once the squash comes into season at my farmer's market.

I did recently try to pan fry some frozen squash cubes that I bought, and they just turned into a pulpy mess. I'm looking forward to trying the grating route.

HotWings 09-29-2009 06:44 PM

OMG - I just had to post here. My dad gave me 2 butternut squash from his garden, and I too had read the idea on hungrygirl.com . Holy moly! I had never had butternut squash - I always thought of squash as mushy and fairly tasteless.

Where have you been all my life, butternut squash???! I had given up on eating white potatoes, mainly because of calories. I cooked these this afternoon - these hashbrowns are so freakin awesome! I would never have known it was not a regular potato. Now my head is just turning with ideas of things to cook replacing regular potatoes with butternut squash!! A whole cup is barely over 80 calories.

I love you, butternut squash. :love:

pintobean 09-29-2009 06:52 PM

I have to try this recipe. Thanks for posting :). I discovered butternut squash earlier this year and am really liking it. So far, I've only made it in taco form few times.

Here's the butternut squash taco recipe if anyone's interested. I do add more of these spices - cumin, salt free chili powder and salt free lemon pepper - than the recipe calls for. Just taste and adjust the spices accordingly. I prefer the squash softer as well.

WaterRat 09-29-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Now my head is just turning with ideas of things to cook replacing regular potatoes with butternut squash!! A whole cup is barely over 80 calories.
A cup of diced potato is 58 calories potato calories