Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Fab food find: siggi's Icelandic style skyr strained non-fat yogurt

Have you tried it? It costs a bit more than regular yogurt so I always passed it up, but now I'm hooked It's completely natural, tastes great, has zero fat, and 16 grams of protein all for 120 calories

From the manufacturer:

Skyr is strained yogurt made from cow's milk. Traditionally, skyr is made from skim milk after the cream has been floated off to make butter, so it's fat free. Like milk, regular yogurt is mostly water, but with skyr that water is strained away. In other words, one cup of skyr requires three times more milk than a cupe of regular yogurt.

The ingredients are very pure. Skim milk, agave nectar, live active cultures, and vegetable rennet. I chose the orange and ginger variety, which also contains candied ginger and orange extract. It's not sweet, but not too tart. The amount of agave nectar used must be very small. It has 10 grams sugar, but about half of that is probably naturally occurring in the milk, and the agave is low GI.

It's so THICK, yet it doesn't contain any gelatin or other thickeners, unlike virtually all other yogurts at the supermarket. The milk is from grass fed cows and produced without the use of BGH Contains NO aspartame, sucralose, high fructose corn syrup, or anything artificial.

http://skyr.com/
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I chose the orange and ginger variety, which also contains candied ginger and orange extract.
Wow, that flavor sounds amazing I wonder if I can find any.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Ah, I checked the link for stores - looks like an eastern phenomena!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Well, it sounds awesome!! According to the website, the only option in my state would be Whole Foods, and I only go there about once or twice a year. Too bad. I'll have to keep my eye out, though... Thanks for the pointer.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote