I am going to grump

• Has anyone ever worked in a restaurant kitchen? My friend and I went to happy hour at a nice restaurant last night; they have a pub downstairs. She ordered an appetizer, but I am on a diet plan, so I asked if I could order the portobello sandwich, hold the kaiser, hold the cheese. I also asked if I could have subs for the roll and fries. The guy said sure, no problem, but there is already butter on the veggies. I asked if any rice was available, and he said yes.

Well, they brought the portobello and the veggies, but no rice. The guy said oops, sorry, they only have orzo. I said the orzo would be fine.

Everything tasted really good, but it was all swimming in oil and butter. I had told the guy I was on a special diet. The orzo didn't arrive until well after I'd finished the rest. It was full of butter and parmesan cheese.

Here's my grumpy question: what is it with kitchens, anyway? Do they really cook all of the vegetables ahead of time and load them down with oil or butter? Why is it so hard to get a decent meal to order, even in a fine dining establishment? With all of the news out there about the obesity epidemic, you'd think they could be more accommodating. This place serves expensive steaks, seafood etc. in its dining room, so it isn't as if I was in a diner with short order cooks in the back.
  • I went to Outback sometime last year and it was a bit of an ordeal. Some of the veggies came pre-buttered. In the end though they were able to give me a sweet potato, no butter and veggies, no butter. It took quite a few iterations and actually talking to a couple people about it.

Which is why I mostly stick to places I know that can accommodate me.
  • I work part time in our local pub and they make everything to order and there is no problem if a customer can't have butter/oil. We even have gluten-free bread and several veg and vegan options. And this is a small pub in the middle of Wales! So, there's no reason for you to have a hard time getting what you want. Don't go back to that restaurant, I guess.
  • most restaurants, especially busy ones, precook most things except meat.

veg sits in butter because it tastes "better" and more importantly, last a lot longer out of the fridge on the prep line.

isolde
  • I worked at a restaurant for 2 and 1/2 years. Most places will be VERY willing to meet your needs. Who wants to eat FRESH veggies that have bathed in butter?

The places in our area have fresh produce and meet many dietary needs.. no gluten, no butter, grilled not fried... Sounds like they were being lazy more then anything! I would say stay clear of that place and find a more diet friendly place. It's a lose- lose situation... They lose the customer and you lose the WEIGHT : )
  • " I am allergic to dairy" simple words that fix most things. I am not actually allergic, but I am extremely sensitive to most dairy. Butter and milk are the worst things for me, and they will make me very sick. So even though I am not actually allergic it is the easiest way to make it known that it is something I definitely cant have on my food. When you mention the word allergy they will do everything right because it can mean big problems if they dont.
  • Thats exactly why I hate eating out!!!