Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #1  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Default Corn syrup

Does anyone know what the difference is between high fructose corn syrup and just corn syrup?

I know HFCS is bad and should be avoided since it's just more sugar. I presume corn syrup is the same regarding sugar, but not sure if it is OK in some measure.

I noticed the Healthy Choice pasta sauce I usually buy, which is pretty good in a lot of areas, has corn syrup listed as an ingredient midway down the list. The organic sauce doesn't, which makes me think this is just another additive to avoid.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #2  
the 20 year old wonder.

S/C/G: 186.2/182/130

Height: 5'7''

HFCS isn't "bad". it IS sugar. so as long as its done in moderation, just like sugar (or pretty much anything else in the world), its perfectly fine.
freakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

*Maybe*, but if you eat processed foods everyday, it's in practically everything.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #4  
the 20 year old wonder.

S/C/G: 186.2/182/130

Height: 5'7''

Well that's why you don't eat processed foods constantly. It isn't the HFCS itself that is damaging, its the abuse of it. Its like any other ingredient in anything else.
freakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

I disagree. Some studies have shown that HFCS bypasses your body's indicators letting you know when you are getting full/satisfied. It has to do with the way it is digested -- it's digested differently than glucose.

http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/3021.html

But to answer your original question: from what I understand, the term "corn syrup" can vary between countries. In Canada, we have some "corn syrups" that contain glucose. So, your body would digest part of it in a similar manner to that of other glucose-sugars (table sugar, for instance). HFCS, on the other hand, is highly processed. It bypasses all natural means of our bodies' way of saying "stop! that's enough, I'm full".
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #6  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakiel View Post
HFCS isn't "bad". it IS sugar. so as long as its done in moderation, just like sugar (or pretty much anything else in the world), its perfectly fine.
I think this is a matter of opinion. At present, there is research to support a number of contrasting viewpoints.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote