Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #1  
Workin' It

Default There is Splenda in everything!

I bought a protein bar at CVS last night because I was starving to death while I was waiting in line at the checkout (forever!) and threw it in my buggy. Just ate it, wanted to see what it tasted like. I'm now feeling a little nauseated so I reviewed the ingredients again. Way down on the bottom of the packet, after the regular list of ingredients & in a light color that almost matched the packet there was a tiny blurb "this product flavored with sucralose and sugar alcohols which have been known to have a laxative effect on some individuals". I didn't catch it last night because I was tired... Any more Splenda than the small amount in sugar free coffee syrups and I get sick. Teach me to step out of the box and buy a new product without really researching it...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

I find it very annoying to buy something and then discover in little teeny print that it has artificial sweeteners of any kind. They should have to proclaim that in big red letters right on the front of the label.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #3  
Workin' It

I'm usually pretty good about spotting it, but I was distracted last night and missed it. I really like the yogurts that say "aspartamine and other artificial sweeteners" right on the front! Saves me having to turn all of the different kinds around!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #4  

I'm allergic to both soy and splenda so I have to be extremely vigilant about reading labels. Those two items are in so many products it's a wonder I'm ever able to find anything I can have outside of fresh meat, veggies and fruit. Frustrating at times!
Luckybustert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #5  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

I feel the same way. I am one of those people who get really bad migrains from asparteme. I have noticed now that even in gums that aren't "sugar free" at the very end of the ingredients they now have it added on. If it's not "sugar free" then why put it in there? I can't find any gum without artifical sweetener of some kind. If there is any out there can someone tell me what it is? Thanks. Hope everyone has a great day.
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote