Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #1  
Rubber Ducky

S/C/G: 341/307/135

Post Muscle milk and other protein drinks

Do any of you ever substitute a protein drink for a meal? I often will drink a protein drink such as muscle milk light for breakfast on days I have classes. My class is about 2 hours long and the protein drinks keeps me full and happy during a long lecture.

But I've found that a lot of times my stomach will cramp and hurt after the class, after I have finished the drink. Does anyone else get this with protein drinks? Maybe it's because the drink is too much on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning.

Anyone else have cramping and discomfort from protein drinks? Maybe it's not meant for breakfast?
glitterducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I sometimes will have a protein shake for breakfast. I don't have any issues with the cramping... unless I don't take in enough calories. Usually I add in a little frozen fruit and some ground-up oats (my blended just lumps up the oat flakes if I add them to the liquid, so I keep some pre-ground). If I remember I also add a little flax seed in, or grab 1/2oz of some kind of nuts (to add some fat). I really do try, when using a protein shake as a replacement to make sure that I'm replacing using a good balance of calories.

At night, before bed, a quick shake with a side of fruit salad seems to keep me from raiding the fridge.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

No, I haven't. I like food!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #4  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

I love my protien shakes..i have atleast 1 a day..sometimes 2 a day. I find them very convient, and easy to make and go. it took me along time to find one i loved..but now i have, and will never chnage them. and the chocate one gives me that choclate kick when im pms'in.

some kinds have given me cramps or ever dizziness

best of luck!!

angela
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #5  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
No, I haven't. I like food!
Me too, on the liking food. However, whey protein is food, and generally a great one at that. It's an excellent source of protein, as it is a complete protein (containing essential amino acids). I've always found breakfast a horrible meal to eat. I can't eat dairy products (so milk/cereal is out), toast with jam/peanut butter doesn't hold me that long, and there are times I get completely sick of eggs and/or egg whites. I know lots of people who can eventually get into the 'non breakfast foods at breakfast' but I just can't. So, switching off egg dishes with protein shakes works fairly well for me.

Last edited by RealCdn; 04-22-2009 at 03:39 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote